Border battle comes to Madison

: Sophomore forward Michael Davies notched two goals at Alaska-Anchorage. He now has seven on the season.

Border battle comes to Madison

By Eric Levine 

Powerplay 

Recap 

Wisconsin returns home after consecutive road trips to Denver and Alaska-Anchorage. Wisconsin split with Denver, and won and tied against Anchorage. 

In the Denver series, Wisconsin appeared to have tied the game with under one second left. However, the goal was reviewed and incorrectly waved off, sending the Badgers back to their hotel with a loss. 

Wisconsin responded with a 7-2 victory over the Pioneers. 

Minnesota has won one of its last four games, beating Minnesota-Duluth in the series finale last weekend. The Gophers and Bulldogs tied the series opener. Before that, the Gophers lost and tied against St. Cloud State. 

Preview 

Each team sits in the WCHA standings at 6-8-2, and needs this weekend's series to ensure a home playoff series in March. 

The story out of Minnesota right now is the goaltending situation. Heading into the season, junior Jeff Frazee appeared to be the one head coach Don Lucia would ask to lead his team in net. However, freshman Alex Kangas has outplayed Frazee, leading Lucia to start Kangas both games last weekend. He played well, giving up just two goals against Minnesota-Duluth. 

The Badgers can add fuel to the Gopher goalie controversy if they continue to play like they have in the last three games, scoring 13 goals. 

The question is whether Wisconsin can continue being a first period team. After the first Denver game, Wisconsin had 16 first period goals all season. In the last three it has scored six in the opening stanza. 

With different players for Wisconsin stepping up lately, such as sophomore forward Michael Davies (WCHA offensive player of the week) and senior forward Matthew Ford (game-winning goal scorer against Anchorage), the Badgers may have just found the consistency they need to get back to .500 in the WCHA.