Badgers lose 21-17 in Outback

TAMPA, Fla. - The stage was set for a storybook ending to the Wisconsin Badgers' 2007 season, but the Tennessee Volunteers made sure the 2008 Outback Bowl would not help ring in a Happy New Year for UW.  

Trailing 21-17, the Badgers (9-4) marched 50 yards in just five plays and stood on the Tennessee 36-yard line with less than a minute remaining in the game. But when Volunteer sophomore defensive back Antonio Wardlow intercepted senior Tyler Donovan's pass in the end zone, he sealed the victory for Tennessee (10-4) New Years Day at Raymond James Stadium. 

The defeat ended the Badgers' hopes for a third consecutive bowl victory and a third consecutive season with at least 10 wins. 

It was a really tough loss,"" junior offensive lineman Kraig Urbik said. ""We were able to do things offensively, but also we were killing ourselves. Dropped passes, missed assignments - you're not going to win doing that kind of stuff."" 

After falling behind 21-14 at halftime, the Badger defense stiffened and did not surrender a point in the second half. However the Wisconsin offense failed to take advantage of good field position and potential scoring opportunities. 

The Badgers recorded only two first downs in their first three possessions of the second half and scored only three points during two second half drives inside the red zone. 

Although UW head coach Bret Bielema said ""little things"" spelled the difference between victory and defeat, a big decision to go for the first down on a 4th-and-2 from the Tennessee 10-yard line prevented Wisconsin from climbing closer late in the game. 

On the pivotal play, Donovan rolled to his right but reversed field when he could not find an open receiver. As the Volunteers pressured him, Donovan lofted a pass out of the endzone. 

""On third down we had made the decision that if it was 4th-and-2 or less we were going for it,"" Bielema said. ""Obviously it was 4th-and-2, so we went for it. We weren't able to execute and Tennessee did a good job."" 

Bielema also said he was concerned that if Wisconsin kicked a field goal to cut the lead to 21-20, it may have been difficult to kick a longer field goal later in the game because of the swirling winds at Raymond James Stadium. 

Despite throwing the interception to end the game, Donovan had a characteristically gutsy performance in his last game in a Badger uniform.  

He finished 14-of-24 for 155 yards and a touchdown and also rushed for another score in the first quarter, taking a helmet-to-helmet hit in the process. 

""He took a couple of hits where there was a question if he was going to come back in the game,"" freshman offensive lineman Gabe Carimi said. ""He played hard and he ran hard and he did all he could."" 

Sophomore running back P.J. Hill replaced freshman starter Zach Brown, and ran for 132 yards on 16 carries. 

Several seniors made big plays in their final games as Badgers. Cornerback Ben Strickland made key tackles for the defense and tight end Andy Crooks caught a touchdown pass in the second quarter. 

Tennessee senior quarterback Erik Ainge was named the game's MVP. He passed for 365 yards and two touchdowns. 

Wisconsin finished the season ranked No. 21/24 in the nation.