Armed robbery at State Street bank

Armed Robbery: The Associated Bank at 202 State St. was robbed early Thursday morning. The male suspect carrying a gun followed a bank employee into the bank from a nearby parking lot and ordered the clerks to wait before calling police, then fled the scene with money.

Armed robbery at State Street bank

A State Street bank was robbed Thursday, and the armed suspect is still at large.  

A gun-wielding man followed an employee into the Associated Bank at 202 State St. early Thursday morning, took money and fled the scene, police said.  

According to a Madison Police report, the robber approached a clerk arriving at work in a parking lot adjacent to the bank. He entered the building with the employee, where a second clerk was already working. The man ordered both clerks not to call the police while he robbed the bank. Once the robber fled the scene, the employees called the Madison Police Department. 

Police describe the perpetrator as a 5'6 to 5'9"" male with an average build. He was last seen wearing a blue hooded coat and a mask.  

No one was hurt in the incident ,and the suspect fled the bank before police arrived, according to Madison police spokesman Joel DeSpain. 

DeSpain said detectives from Madison and the FBI continue to investigate the incident. He noted the amount of money taken is known but is not being disclosed to the public.  

A reward of up to $10,000 for any information leading to the arrest and conviction of the robber is being offered by the Wisconsin Bankers Association.  

""The WBA and its members not only want to help catch those responsible but also want to deliver the message that such actions against any financial institution will not be tolerated,"" WBA president and CEO Kurt Bauer said in a statement.  

The WBA said the reward is being offered through the WBA Robbery Reward Fund, which provides funding for the apprehension of criminals. 

The highest reward offered by the WBA is $10,000, which the Associated Bank on State Street qualified for because of the nature of the robbery, according to a statement.  

""The safety of all financial institution employees and customers is our number one priority and this is the first step to ensuring that,"" Bauer said.