Tough road ahead for Big Ten

neitzel: Michigan State senior guard Drew Neitzel has the Spartans running on all cylinders early this season.

Tough road ahead for Big Ten

With the loss of big name players like Greg Oden, Mike Conley Jr. and Alando Tucker, it was clear the Big Ten Conference would have to forge a new identity during the 2007-'08 season. After one month of play, it remains clear that many teams are still searching for that identity.  

The Atlantic Coast Conference easily won the ACC-Big Ten Challenge for the ninth consecutive year last week. Big Ten teams finished 3-8 during the competition with only Michigan State, Indiana and Penn State earning victories. 

Teams of the Week: Indiana and Michigan State 

No. 25 Xavier upset the Hoosiers on Nov. 24, but since then Indiana has looked impressive, defeating Georgia Tech in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge and winning 64-51 at Southern Illinois. The Salukis hold the best home record in all of college basketball over the last six years. Indiana also shrugged off an upset attempt by Tennessee State. 

The Hoosiers have built this short winning streak without the presence of freshman guard Jordan Crawford, who received a three-game suspension from head coach Kelvin Sampson.  

IU has not missed Crawford because of the stellar play of fellow freshman Eric Gordon. The 6'4' guard leads the conference in points per game, averaging 24.3 every time he steps out on the floor. 

Senior power forward D.J. White continues to play solid for Indiana. He averages 14.8 points and 8.6 rebounds per game. Sophomore guard Armon Bassett puts up 11.3 points and 3.5 assists per contest and gives the Hoosiers an energy boost whenever he is in the game.  

After an embarrassing preseason loss to Grand Valley State, the Spartans have regrouped and look like a team headed toward the top of the conference. Their only loss came against then-No. 1 UCLA Bruins. 

While Tom Izzo's teams are known for their tenacious defense, MSU has looked especially impressive on the offensive end, tallying 80 or more points in five of their seven contests. 

Senior guard and floor general Drew Neitzel averages 14.3 and five assists per game, but sophomore guard Raymar Morgan has stepped up his play and leads MSU with 18 points per contest. 

Player of the Week: Eric Gordon 

Despite scoring only eight points in limited action against Tennessee State because of a back injury, Gordon is still one of the nation's top scorers in the nation. Opposing teams have not had an answer for the young phenom, as he recorded more than 20 points in the first seven games of the season. Only time will tell how a bruised back will affect his play. 

Upcoming matchups:  

Kentucky at No. 15 Indiana, No. 11 Marquette at No. 23 Wisconsin 

The Hoosiers might find out just how good they are when Billy Gillispie's Wildcats roll into Bloomington Saturday. Kentucky has won five of the last six games between the two schools.  

The Badgers are 3-2 against Marquette since Bo Ryan became head coach in 2002. Last year Wisconsin won 70-66 in a hard fought game in Milwaukee.