Ryan reviews loss to Marquette

Ryan reviews loss to Marquette: Junior Joe Krabbenhoft was always a force on the boards and on defense for Bo Ryan's Badgers, but this season he has stepped up on offense as well scoring 7.4 points per game.

Ryan reviews loss to Marquette

UW men's basketball head coach Bo Ryan addressed the media on Monday, and spoke about the improvement of several of his players, as well as what the team needs to do to correct its mistakes from Saturday's 81-76 loss to Marquette. 

In Michael Flowers's first start of the season, the senior guard poured in 14 points while shooting 6-of-7 from the field. Ryan indicated what Flowers had done differently to earn the spot.  

Just the fact that he's there doing all the things that are necessary,"" Ryan said. ""If you're not at practice, it's very difficult when you're missing the repetitions and the other things with the players.""  

Ryan also said the timing of the decision played a major factor. 

""The type of teams that we play has a lot to do it with it too,"" Ryan said. ""It was just something that was occurring and was bound to happen sooner or later if things kept progressing the way they did. You have to reward performance."" 

Junior swingman Joe Krabbenhoft played a season-high 38 minutes on Saturday, and Ryan attributed this trust to Krabbenhoft's progression on both sides of the ball. 

""Our movement - Joe Krabbenhoft really gets it offensively, it just took him a little while,"" Ryan said.  

""His movement away from the ball, the concept of ball-side triangles, when to back-door, when to curl, when to pop, posting position - all those things that you do within an offense. Defensively, he's also improved. He's playing quicker guys this year than he did last year, and that's all an educator wants to see is people getting better."" 

Freshman forward Jon Leuer has also gotten more playing time recently, with 19 and 17 minutes respectively in critical matchups against Duke and Marquette. Leuer combined for 21 points in these two contests, and Ryan reiterated Leuer's ability to learn quickly. 

""He listens - even though he had a couple of turnovers there you'd like to have back, those are things a guy like him will learn quicker than maybe other guys that we've had,"" Ryan said. ""At least that's what I'm hoping for because he's picked up a lot of other things rather quickly.""  

Ryan also admired Leuer's toughness in this week's preparation for Marquette. 

""He had turned his ankle [Friday] and I didn't even think twice about it, because when the trainer says he's ready to go, he's ready to go,"" Ryan said.  

""Sometimes when guys are nicked up and things aren't going well, they walk a little different. They're looking for a little sympathy or something - I don't have time for those kinds of guys. Jon Leuer, I'd forgotten about it, he never said a word. That's another reason why he needs to be on the floor more, he just plays."" 

Marquette Turnovers 

The Badgers committed 18 turnovers in Saturday's loss to Marquette, resulting in 22 Golden Eagle points. When asked about how to prevent bad passes, Ryan shared his unhappiness but reiterated that his players will have many more opportunities. 

""We didn't teach those, or we would station the managers up in the bleachers during practice,"" Ryan said. ""You have to believe in your players, that they want to do the right things and that they'll try the next time, the next opportunity they have to be better.""