Ryan and Stone make players feel at home

Ryan and Stone make players feel at home: Wisconsin head coach Lisa Stone pulls her ,students of the game"" together during a timeout against Air Force Sunday.

As the women's basketball team continues to progress with each game on the court, the players are making even greater strides together off of it. Head coach Lisa Stone's desire to create a second-family environment and positive atmosphere around her players has allowed the women to excel during the start of the 2007 season. 

Every year, Stone conducts numerous off-court teambuilding exercises that boost the cohesiveness of her players and allow them to work together as a unit. The most memorable activity this season was a surprise trip to a corn maze. To get through the maze, we had to answer questions about the philosophy of the game, the history of the program, stuff like that. It helped teambuilding and was really fun,"" senior guard Janese Banks said.  

Stone also believed the teambuilding exercise ended up as a great success, with several positive aspects coming out of it. ""It was fun to watch because it allowed some of the girls to step up as leaders and helped our communication,"" Stone said.  

In addition to structured team events, Stone creates an informal family environment into her players by integrating the student athletes with her home life. The head coach achieves this by having her team come over for dinners, barbeques and game nights. ""I want them to know they are a part of my family and always will be. I am their coach on the court, but I am their friend when they are off the court,"" Stone said. 

Stone's family also travels with the team and intermingles with the players. ""They come with us on our road trips. They are supporting of us at practice. Every game they are cheering for us,"" freshman center Tara Steinbauer said. ""I think if you asked her, she would consider us all her daughters, and she treats us that way on and off the court."" 

Sophomore guard Rae Lin D'Alie believes that though Stone's excitement and enthusiasm help to build team unity, her passion and intensity also carry over toward the players in each practice and game. ""She's been [coaching] for 23 years and you still feel the passion like it is her first game. It is an endurance of passion,"" D'Alie said. 

Banks added that her head coach's upbeat nature and positivity help when the team is struggling during games. ""Whether we are up or down, she always feels we are going to win. We feed off of that,"" she said. 

Away from the court, Stone's bright outlook on life allows for players to come to her when they have problems. ""I look for her when I'm down,"" D'Alie said. ""I think about how coach Stone would spin [the situation] in a positive way."" 

Steinbauer credits her head coach's personality and willingness to reach out to players as one of the reasons she broke out of an early season slump. ""She pulled me into her office earlier this year and told me to go for what you want, whether it be on the court or just in life,"" Steinbauer said. 

Stone also acts like a mother figure to her players by taking an active role in their classroom performance. Over her 23-year coaching career, Stone's teams have always been characterized by players earning high grades. As a strong student athlete herself, the head coach places a top priority on the performance of her players in the classroom. ""Academics are always first. They always have been and always will be with me,"" Stone said.  

Badgers players credited Stone's willingness to help them succeed off the court as a main reason for the coach's academic success at each stop over her lengthy career. ""She understands we are stressed academically,"" Steinbauer said. ""She will always help you find a tutor or academic advisor. That's something special in her."" 

Overall, Stone said she tries to create an environment for her players that not only help them excel on the court but succeed as individuals off of it. She wants her student athletes to hold themselves to a high standard. When players are finished playing at Wisconsin, Stone wants each woman to be remembered as a ""quality student, quality athlete, and quality person. That is my job.""  

During her 23 years of coaching, Stone has achieved this by her positive personality and strong desire to build a support system for everyone. ""Live life and be happy about it,"" Banks said, summing up Stone's disposition. ""Even if things are going rough for you, there's always other outlets and people there to help you. This program is like a family that lets you know you don't have to do things on your own.