Vending committee ranks food vendors, assesses cart quality

A group of Madison-area residents and committee members recently completed their assessment of the 2008 food-cart license applicants, reviewing each cart's aesthetics, safety, food quality and seniority in the city.  

For the assessment, a group of 18 reviewers, including three members of the Madison Vending Oversight Committee, tasted food from 34 license-seeking carts and submitted their results to the VOC for tabulation and ranking. The VOC translated the rankings and assigned carts to tentative posts for next year. 

According to the VOC, 10 new applicants sought licenses for daytime food vending, a Madison record. 

The highest ranked cart was Johnson Brothers Coffee, located on Capitol Square, followed closely by Library Mall's Buraka. The Fruit Stand, Loose Juice and Zen Sushi, all currently located on Library Mall, also ranked in the top 10. 

New applicants also faired well in the review, with two carts reaching the top 10. The highest-ranking new food cart was Santa Fe Trailer, ranked eighth, followed by FIBS - Fine Italian Beef and Sausage - in the ninth spot. Both carts are tentatively slated to move into Library Mall next year. 

According to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, I'm Here"" and Tropical Drinks - two of Library Mall's current establishments - incurred penalties in the review due to suspensions earlier this year for health-code violations. These penalties bumped the carts from Library Mall and forced them to the Capitol Square next year. 

Silky's, Too was also bumped from Library Mall in the tentative placements arranged by the VOC, but did not incur any penalties. 

No cart reviewed was denied a license by the VOC, and official cart placements should be determined by mid-April.