UW's Leuer makes good first impression

UW's Leuer makes good first impression: Freshman Jon Leuer had an impressive 15-point performance Sunday.

UW's Leuer makes good first impression

In Wisconsin's exhibition victory over Edgewood College Sunday, spectators saw some positive trends they have grown accustomed to seeing from Badger teams of the past. 

Wisconsin's lockdown defense and solid shooting percentage were on display. As was head coach Bo Ryan's patented swing offense.  

Still, there was one major surprise: Freshman Jon Leuer's astounding play off the bench. Yet, according to Ryan, Leuer's high-energy performance was nothing short of what he has expected all offseason long.  

We told you he's a player,"" Ryan said after the game Sunday night. ""We didn't try to keep it a secret. You guys saw him. He has a feel for the game, as good as anybody I've seen as a freshman."" 

Leuer grew up in Long Lake, Minn., a suburb just west of Minneapolis. The 6'10' forward attended Orono High School, where he blossomed into a formidable player in his junior and senior seasons.  

During his junior campaign, Leuer averaged 18 points and eight rebounds en route to All-State and first-team All-Conference honors.  

In his senior season, Leuer elevated his game to an entirely new level, averaging 23.2 points and 12 rebounds per game. He also appeared in the Minnesota State All-Star game and received second-team All-State and first-team All-Conference honors. 

In the fall, Leuer enrolled at UW-Madison, and he seems ready to embrace the challenge of his freshman season. 

""It's definitely exciting to be here right now and to be a part of this program,"" Leuer said. ""I feel like I have a pretty good skill set and I'm just trying to do whatever I can to help the team win."" 

Assistant coach Gary Close is one of many members of the Badger staff who is quite impressed with Leuer's progression so far this season, but reiterated the usual difficult start he will likely encounter as a freshman.  

""I think he's done a real good job getting himself prepared to try and get some minutes right off the bat,"" Close said.  

""You never know how freshmen are going to react to the competition, how they're going to react academically, how they're going to react being away from home for the first time, but he's been real solid and has done a good job. He's going to have some ups and downs like we all do, but he's off to a nice start."" 

Off the court and in the locker room, Leuer said it was a different experience being integrated with a new group of older players. 

""At first I was a little quiet, but once you start hanging out with the guys more, you realize you have a good group of guys that have your back,"" Leuer said.  

These feelings seem to be reciprocated by the older players.  

Sophomore guard Jason Bohannon has seen big potential from Leuer both on and off the court. 

""Everyone on the team gets along with him well,"" Bohannon said. ""On the court, he just has a real knack for the ball. He's always where the ball is, always knows when the ball comes off the rim and where to be for tip-ins. He's just got a great feel for the game."" 

Leuer hopes to continue to build on Sunday night's success after an impressive 15 points in just 15 minutes of action. Still, the freshman has a level-headed mindset in preparing himself for the grind of a long season. 

""Right now, we're still just focusing on practice and getting better everyday,"" Leuer said.  

""I'm anxious for the games to start. We've got one on Wednesday, and then after that, just kind of hit the ground running; we've got one after another.  

""Preparing for that is my number one priority."" 

The Badgers play their second and final exhibition game Wednesday against UW-Eau Claire. 

The teams will tip off at 8 p.m. at the Kohl Center.