UHS offers free influenza shots for registered UW students

University Health Services announced the immediate availability of influenza shots for all registered UW-Madison students Wednesday. 

UHS Director of Prevention Services Susan Crowley said students are encouraged to get immunized before they leave for Thanksgiving break. 

It can take up to two weeks for the vaccine to be effective,"" Crowley said, ""So it's important for students to get immunized as soon as possible before we see a flu outbreak."" 

All students, especially those who have chronic medical conditions such as asthma or diabetes, are encouraged to get a flu shot each year. 

""The immunization is just good protection for healthy students and those with high risk health issues,"" Crowley said. 

With a plentiful vaccine supply this year, Crowley said she expects there will be enough for every student to request the shot. 

According to a UHS campus-wide e-mail Wednesday, a study performed at the University of Minnesota found more than one-third of college students experienced a flu-like illness during the academic year. Those students who got sick said their illnesses forced them to miss classes and work, perform poorly on tests and assignments and seek health care. 

""The flu shot is free for registered UW-Madison students, so why take the risk?"" the e-mail said.  

UHS recommended ill students stay home from class or work, and to get rest before returning. 

The vaccine, offered for no charge, is given on a walk-in basis from 9 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday with a student identification card.