Student alumni board to host MadLaughs comedy show

The Wisconsin Alumni Student Board will host a stand-up comedy show entitled MadLaughs: Comedy for a Cause Thursday at Madison Avenue to raise money for Operation Smile. 

Operation Smile is an organization that works to restructure children's facial deformities. According to its website, the organization works in over 25 different countries each year. Different global chapters help fund Operation Smile so the organization can perform free surgeries for those individuals that desperately need it. Last year, the organization performed 9,334 free surgeries to children around the world. 

WASB is one of many student organizations nationwide that help raise money for Operation Smile. The various student organizations are expected to raise awareness about Operation Smile on campus and to educate students about the importance of volunteering.  

According to member Aleem Bakhtiar, WASB joined the Operation Smile effort because they were looking to get involved with a successful organization that helped people around the globe. This is WASB's second year working with Operation Smile and hosting MadLaughs.  

He said last year they were able to raise over $1,000 dollars and this year they hope to raise the same amount if not more. This year WASB purchased a liquor license for the event from organizational funds, which they did not do last year.  

The goal of the event is for students to have a fun night out while also contributing to the effort to aid disadvantaged children internationally. 

It is a great event and it is for a great cause,"" Bakhtiar said.  

Doors will open at 7:30 p.m. and the show will run from 8 p.m.-10 p.m. There is no entrance fee but students are encouraged to give a monetary contribution when voting for their favorite comedian. 

For more information visit http://www.uwalumni.com/home/students/WASB/wasb.aspx.