No. 3 Fighting Sioux toughest opponent yet

Cody Goloubef: Freshman defenseman Cody Goloubef scored the game-winner for Wisconsin last Saturday as the Badgers beat Michigan Tech 4-2.

Last Weekend 

The Badgers split a home series against the conference-leading Michigan Tech Huskies, with a 4-2 loss and a 4-2 win at the Kohl Center. 

In the Badgers' first game, Wisconsin lost momentum early after surrendering a power play goal and an additional goal in a span of six minutes to conclude the first period. In the middle of the second period, the Badgers scored to pull within one, but Michigan Tech held Wisconsin scoreless in the third and added a goal to clinch the 4-2 victory. 

Throughout the game, Wisconsin was ineffective in its penalty killing, and Michigan Tech was able to capitalize on opportunities, going two for four on the power play. 

In Saturday's contest, the Badgers received a tremendous amount of help from freshman play, as forward Sean Dolan and defensemen Cody Goloubef and Ryan McDonagh all scored for the Badgers. Wisconsin was much more effective in power play situations, as it stopped Michigan Tech in all four of its attempts, while converting one of its three opportunities. The Badgers outscored the Huskies 3-1 in the final period to seal the victory.  

The North Dakota Fighting Sioux had two very different matchups last weekend against the Colorado College Tigers; a 6-2 victory and a 4-1 loss. In the first matchup, the Sioux came out firing with three goals in the first period. They also converted two of six power play chances. In the second game, the Sioux managed just one goal in the second period, followed by three unanswered goals by Colorado College and an easy win for the Tigers. 

Preview 

North Dakota is one of the most consistent programs in the country, as the Fighting Sioux have advanced to the NCAA Frozen Four in three consecutive seasons, all under head coach Dave Hakstol. Last season, North Dakota had a 13-10-5 conference record and advanced to the Frozen Four semifinals before losing 6-4. The Fighting Sioux return its top goaltender in senior J.P. Lamoureux, as well as three of their top four scorers in junior forwards Ryan Duncan and T.J. Oshie, and senior defenseman Robbie Bina. The Badgers will need to find an answer to contain Duncan, who won the Hobey Baker Award last season. The award is given to the top player in NCAA men's hockey. Duncan also earned All-American and WCHA Player of the Year honors. 

Wisconsin played North Dakota extremely well in head-to-head competition last year, winning one of two games at home and sweeping the Fighting Sioux on the road. Wisconsin hopes to continue receiving strong offensive production from its defensemen, who have registered 10 goals this season, already matching the Badger defensemen total from all of last season 

North Dakota is the more defensive minded team, averaging 3.3 goals per game while surrendering just 1.3 goals per contest. In comparison, Wisconsin is averaging a lofty 4.7 goals per game while giving up 2.7 goals per contest. The team that is able to set the tempo to its style of play will likely be the one to come out on top this weekend in Madison.