Madison losing identity to skyline

The upscale transformation of Madison is underway, and if you blink, your eyes may open to a completely different place. As Madison's skyline changes, the city's identity also undergoes a transformation.  

Madison's eccentric culture is in danger of drowning in a mass of pre-fabricated housing that brings Madison's identity closer to that of nearly every other developing city in the nation. The campus is also in danger of further socio-economic segregation in housing as the price gap widens with the establishment of new, more expensive apartment buildings. 

The City of Madison's Comprehensive Plan projects housing developments in the city to outpace growth, creating a surplus of housing. The housing surplus detracts from the quality of life of others in Madison because it diminishes the space for other new construction which may cater to the needs of people who actually live in Madison, or better yet, the maintenance of valuable open space in the city.  

The city council, which approves the construction of new buildings, must be aware of the impact their decisions have on the image of the city and the authenticity of the Madison experience.  

Raising property values may bring a more lucrative demographic from an economic standpoint, but high property values may also drive out small businesses. Just as the City Council banned the development of new bars downtown, at some point they must draw a line where new housing construction must end to preserve the identity of the city. 

The newest high rise in the campus area is Steve Brown's building, Lucky, which is the largest mixed-use project in the history of the city of Madison, according to the building's website. Lucky continues the trend of new high-priced apartment buildings along University Avenue and West Gorham Street. 

The high rise apartment buildings concentrate wealthier students, creating a socio-economic gap in housing. Since rental companies are very unlikely to lower rent prices, students should take the initiative to make the most of their college experience and not isolate themselves from fellow students.