'Kimono' exhibit mixes beauty with history

Kimono Exhibit One: Each beautifully handmade kimono featured at the Human Ecology Design Gallery has an individual history woven into it, making for a both mentally and visually engaging exhibit.

Clothing says a lot about a person. Much like a well-loved t-shirt, a kimono can come in many shapes and colors which all tell a story about the garment's past. Crafting Kimono,"" the new exhibit at the Human Ecology Design Gallery, explores the art of this traditional Japanese attire. 

A kimono begins as a basic article of clothing. Once the primary T-shape is formed from the fabric, the kimono can come in many varieties, all with different meanings.  

The details, such as sleeve length, color, and the material used to make the kimono, indicate the wearer's gender, marital status and age. ""Crafting Kimono"" delves into the history of each item, allowing the viewer to appreciate the garment's distinctive qualities as well as its beauty. 

""Crafting Kimono"" is informative and fascinating, but its real appeal lies in the kimonos' simple, exquisite design. Most of the kimonos featured are hand-made - which means hand-painted, embroidered or dyed.  

As a result, the kimonos can stand as artwork as well as functional clothing. The amount of work and creativity put into each one is astounding. 

Each kimono in the exhibit has a card placed next to it describing the cloth it is made of and whether it belonged to a child or a married woman. Every kimono had a person behind it; perhaps the owner wore the kimono to a wedding, or out shopping. Thinking about the kimono's history makes it personal as well as beautiful. 

This personal aspect of the exhibit allows everyone to enjoy it, but there is also a more specific focus on the textiles and styles of dying involved with kimonos. Not everyone will understand this part of the display, but it is certainly important in the process of creating these gorgeous items. 

Kimonos are unique to Japan. They are different, which makes them beautiful. However, in some ways they are not so foreign. The similarities between kimonos and modern dress are part of what makes them so interesting. Although the two may seem dissimilar, there is a universal feeling between them that shows how connected cultures really are. ""Crafting Kimono"" is both visually stunning and thought provoking, which makes it a wonderful exhibit.