'Bee Movie' makes for a sticky sweet animated adventure

Bee Movie: Barry B"" Benson befriends the human Vanessa in ""Bee Movie

Apparently, Jerry Seinfeld was once a successful sitcom actor. Though many may never have heard of that show he was in - whatever it was called - Seinfeld has seemingly had a hard time finding work since the show aired, not having worked in any feature project for several years. Strange, as one would think that he needed the money: millions per episode from that show about nothing"" couldn't have gotten him very far. However, Dreamworks decided to give this untested up-and-comer a fresh chance in their animated ""Bee Movie,"" and he delivers like someone who has been in the business for years. 

""Bee Movie"" is the story of bumblebee Barry Benson - voiced by Seinfeld - who, fearing a life of constantly working to produce honey, flees his hive in search of experience. He's saved from a squashing by Vanessa, played by Renee Zellweger, who, if she weren't human, would be Barry's dream woman (""She's beautiful, and she's a florist!"" he exclaims). While with Vanessa at a grocery store, Barry uncovers humanity's secret: People are taking the honey that bees work themselves to death to make. Barry and Vanessa take the bees' case to the courts to try to reclaim the honey that is rightfully theirs.  

""Bee"" was co-written by Seinfeld, which shows in the dialogue and especially Seinfeld's voice work. Barry's dialogue more often than not sounds like Seinfeld doing his stand-up at the hive's improv night. But seeing as Seinfeld hasn't taken on a major project in nearly a decade, this was a good role for him to choose - there's lot of room for him to riff and do what he does best. This movie is Seinfeld's showcase, and although it doesn't entirely waste the formidable supporting cast (featuring Matthew Broderick, Chris Rock, John Goodman, Zellweger and others), they act as though they've been instructed to stay out of Jerry's way, for better or for worse. 

Co-directors Steve Hickner and Simon Smith make sure that the world of ""Bee Movie"" is never boring or ordinary. The colors are vividly realized, the animation looks great and the camera angles are visually stimulating. Dreamworks Animation has previously made movies that take place under the sea, in fairy tale lands and in a sewer, but never has the sensation and wonder of an unexplored place felt so real. As Barry and his fellow insects take flight the audience follows along and gets a bee's-eye view of a thriving city.  

The plot of the movie is engaging enough, weaving a compelling modern fable about the importance of every creature to the environment. The movie is better than most animated fare, and relies on more than puns and childish humor to be funny. 

""Bee Movie"" is a fun film and should spark enough interest to draw audiences to the movie theaters. One can only wonder what that brazen youngster Jerry Seinfeld will do next. Will he ever reach his comedic potential? Only time will tell.