Searching for a winning formula

Searching for a winning formula: Senior midfielder Nick Coronna tallied a goal Saturday against Penn State. The Badgers are still looking for their first victory this month.

Searching for a winning formula

Wisconsin will look to get into the win column for the first time in nearly four weeks Wednesday as they welcome Oakland (Mich.) to the McClimon Soccer Complex. 

The Badgers (5-5-5) are coming off ties in their last two games, drawing with Marquette and Penn State. Head coach Jeff Rohrman's squad took an early lead against the Golden Eagles, but surrendered the tying goal on a mishandled ball by goalie Alex Horwath late in the second half.  

Against Penn State, the Badgers jumped out to an early two-goal lead, but again, could not hold it. The contest ended in a 3-3 tie, and the result meant the Badgers remained winless in the Big Ten at 0-3-2. 

Wisconsin's most recent victory came on Sept. 26 at home against Northern Illinois, a game in which the Badgers defeated the Huskies 4-0. The Badgers fell to Michigan State 3-0 in their next contest, a loss that started their current six game winless streak. 

Oakland enters Wednesday's game with a 4-0 record in the Summit League, and a 7-5-2 overall record. Like the Badgers, the Grizzlies have faced off against both Michigan and Michigan State.  

Oakland lost both games; 2-1 to Michigan State and 2-0 to Michigan. The Badgers tied Michigan, 2-2. 

Oakland features junior goalie Steve Clark, whose five shutouts lead the Summit League, and senior forward Michael Reyes, the Summit League's reigning Offensive Player of the Week. 

The two teams have met just once before on Sept. 11, 2005, on a neutral field in Milwaukee. Wisconsin defeated Oakland 2-1 in that match. 

The game Wednesday will be Wisconsin's final non-conference home contest. The Badgers will travel to Illinois-Chicago Sunday to face the Flames before returning to the McClimon Soccer Complex Nov. 4 to meet Indiana to wrap up their regular season. The game against the Hoosiers is the Badgers' only chance to notch a Big Ten victory. 

The Big Ten Tournament this year will take place in East Lansing, Mich., and will begin on Nov. 8. 

- uwbadgers.com contributed to this report.