October cell phone drive to promote Domestic

The Office of the Dean of Students and the University Subcommittee on Dating and Domestic Violence have collaborated to initiate a cell phone drive to raise money for The Dane County Domestic Abuse Intervention Services organization for Domestic Violence Awareness Month. 

The main goal of the October cell phone drive is to financially provide for DAIS and spread awareness of domestic violence.  

Students can donate used cell phones and chargers in bins around campus. Bins can be found at various locations across campus including The Associated Students of Madison office, the School of Veterinary Medicine and the Greater University Tutorial Services office.  

According to Yolanda Garza, an assistant dean in the ODOS, UW-Madison contributed to the cell phone drive for the first time last year and successfully raised over $800 for DAIS.  

Every penny helps,"" Garza said.  

""The university raised the largest amount of money out of any other organization or company in the Madison area.""  

This year the university hopes to raise over $1,000 for DAIS.  

""I feel like it is a win-win situation,"" Garza said.  

""Many people have wanted to help victims of domestic violence in the past but have not known how and the cell phone drive is a perfect way for them to finally help out.""  

According to Shannon Barry, co-chair of DAIS, the organization started the cell phone drive three years ago and raises almost five thousand dollars each year.  

DAIS collaborates with other major organizations and companies in the Madison area to prolong the drive throughout the entire year. UW-Madison will only participate in October.  

""We want students to be safe and to call upon university members for assistance in campus safety resources,"" Garza said.  

To learn more about domestic violence, log on to DAIS' website at http://abuseintervention.org. In case of a domestic violent issue or emergency call the DAIS 24-hour hotline at 608-262-8000.