Mind Your Morsels

A college student's schedule can be hectic. Between football games, consuming vast amounts of calorie-packed beverages and studying - sometimes - it may seem hard to find time for exercising and eating healthy meals. It does not have to be that hard. Here are some easy tips to help prevent the dreaded Freshmen 15."" 

*Eat Breakfast* 

Forty years of research has shown that starting your day with breakfast is beneficial to everyone.  

According to an American Dietetic Association study, eating breakfast first thing in the morning is important for the brain and body. People who skip breakfast often feel tired. 

Eating breakfast not only helps an individual maintain his or her weight, it also prepares the body to provide energy, better concentration and problem-solving ability throughout the day. So tomorrow morning grab a granola bar or fruit and a water bottle and fuel your body while walking to class - that extra little food in the morning will get your body ready for the day and help increase your metabolism. 

*Skip the Soda* 

The next time you go out to eat, skip the soda and ask for a cup of water. Besides saving money, you will also be saving calories. When you drink soda or other sugary drinks, you feel less full than if you were to eat actual food with the same amount of calories. So if you feel the need to drink soda, at least do so in moderation to prevent taking in excess calories and gaining weight. 

*Stick with the light beer* 

If you are going to drink alcohol, you should at least try to drink in healthy moderation. Drinking straight liquor can really add on unneeded calories. A mere 1.5 ounce shot of rum has 124 calories - the same amount as in one can of cola. In addition, if you start making mixed drinks with soda, you could end up doubling the amount of calories you are taking in. Wine ranges from 65 to 160 calories per 4 ounce glass, so there is not much help there. Most beers range from 65 to 210 calories per 12 ounce bottle, but the light ones have usually less than 100 calories. Light beers are therefore your best bet for lowering calorie intake. However, when you are having more than one or two beers, you are basically adding on a whole meal to your day - something to consider the next time you go out to a party. 

*Work out* 

Everyone knows that exercise helps prevent weight gain, but did you know you could also make it fun? On campus you can play intramural sports with friends or take a wide variety of classes at the NAT or SERF. If group activities don't interest you, you can always try going for a bike ride with friends on the great bike paths Madison has to offer or going for a light run by yourself. You could also try walking or biking to class instead of taking your moped or the bus.  

- Amanda Giffin