Doubles duo falls in semis at Midwest Regional

Wisconsin's doubles team of Jeremy Sonkin and Luke Rassow-Kantor won four matches before falling in the semifinals Monday at the ITA Midwest Regional in Minneapolis, Minn. 

Sonkin, a senior, and Rassow-Kantor, a sophomore, were the only Badgers to advance to the final day of competition. The duo lost to Jason Jung and Mike Scroczynski of Michigan, 8-6. 

Both Sonkin and Rassow-Kantor participated in the singles draw as well. Sonkin, the 10th seed, beat Peter Rispoli of Northwestern in the opening round and David Anderson of Notre Dame in the second round before losing to Thomas Richter of Indiana. Rassow-Kantor was bounced in the first round by the No. 1 seed Steven Moneke of Ohio State. 

Senior Nolan Polley had the most successful run for the Badgers in the singles draw. Polley, the twelve seed in the event, reached the quarterfinals before falling to No. 2 seed Bryan Koniecko of Ohio State, 7-5; 7-5.  

Before being defeated, Polley won matches against Jarrod Epkey of Ball State, Scott Bruckmann of Michigan and Austen Childs of Louisville. Polley did not drop a set, and never lost more than three games in a set, before facing Koniecko in the quarterfinals. 

Sophomore Moritz Baumann, the final singles competitor for Wisconsin, reached the round of 16 before losing to Drew Eberly of Ohio State, 6-3; 6-1.  

Previously, Baumann beat Sebastian Gallego of Minnesota 6-4; 6-3 in the second round, and George Navas of Michigan, 6-4; 6-2, in the opening round. At No. 7, Baumann was the highest seeded Badger in the singles tournament. 

The Badgers sent four individuals to the qualifying round, but none of them were able to advance to the 64 player main draw. Sophomore Michael Dierberger defeated Ryan Trapp of Youngstown State, 6-3; 6-1, but lost in the second round of the qualifying tournament to Pablo Camacho of Louisville.  

Dierberger took the first set 6-0, but lost the next two by scores of 7-5 and 6-3, respectively.  

Like Dierberger, freshman Peter Marrack won his first round match, defeating David Seyferth of Northwestern, 6-2; 4-6; 7-5. Marrack then fell to Viktor Maksimcuk of Louisville, 7-5; 6-3.  

Wisconsin's other two qualifying entrants, sophomore Michael Muskievicz and junior Gian Hodgson, were unable to move past the first round. Muskievicz lost to Dino Bilankov of Minnesota in three sets, and Hodgson was defeated by Eric Breitenbach of Butler in straight sets. 

In addition to the singles event, Polley and Baumann competed as a team in the doubles draw. The pair won three matches before falling in the quarterfinals to Drew Eberly and Justin Kronauge of Ohio State, 8-5. 

This weekend the Badgers will travel to Kalamazoo, Mich. to compete in the Western Michigan University/Vredevelt Invitational. 

- uwbadgers.com contributed to this article.