Democratic candidates seek student support

opinion:

*Clinton's stance on education, insurance good for students* 

The primary season is fast approaching, and it's time to do some research and make your decision. There are still a lot of candidates in the field, but only one of them is the right choice: Hillary Clinton. Hillary is far and away the leading candidate; the latest Rasmussen polls show her up by 11 percent in Iowa, 23 percent in New Hampshire, and up by 28 percent nationwide.  

But numbers alone are not a good enough reason to vote for Hillary. Not only is she the favorite candidate, she is also the best candidate. For many years she has fought for the issues that you care about. Take health care - a few years from now you'll be finished with college and out in the real world."" You'll remember how great college was, because even if you don't love UHS, let's be honest, it's a lot better than nothing at all.  

And nothing is exactly what you may have. In a few years you will be responsible for your own health insurance. Unfortunately, like many others, you may not be able to afford it, and will join the 47 million Americans who are currently uninsured.  

But not with Hillary! Her universal health care plan will allow everybody in the United States to obtain insurance.  

If you're happy with the plan that you have right now don't worry, you can keep it. But if you're not, then grab an upgrade. Hillary's plan of combining electronic records, focusing on preventive care and cost sharing will dramatically cut costs, ensuring that no one is left uninsured. 

For those of you who don't want to think that far ahead - and don't worry you're not alone - let's focus on Hillary's fight for education. In her long career she has been a huge supporter of increasing Pell Grants. Right now the average Pell Grant covers only a third of a public university's tuition, and that's not enough. If you don't receive a Pell Grant, Hillary also has a great plan to make borrowing money from private companies cheaper and more transparent.  

She has proposed legislation that would decrease the interest rate on student loans and introduced the Student Borrowers Bill of Rights. This bill will force companies to operate in a competitive market and plainly lay out information such as the principal, current balance, interest rate and fees of your loan, as well as up-to-date information of what has been paid so far and any changes in your terms and conditions. This new system will allow students to be confident in their financial situation and will lead to more students enrolling in universities all over America. In addition, she wants to help working students by tying the minimum wage to Congress' salary; every time they give themselves a raise, you get one too. 

Pasha Sternberg 

chair, Students for Hillary 

*Obama focuses on change from domestic to global issues* 

Change is a significant part of Barack Obama's candidacy - a change in leadership, a change in policy and, most importantly, a change in the faith we have in our country. Senator Obama is the only candidate who can bring this much-needed change to the tired Washington ways. 

As the only leading candidate who was against the Iraq War from the beginning, Obama has proven he has the best judgment in leading our country forward.  

He recognizes the need to refocus the war on terrorism back onto those who attacked us on 9/11, which means getting off the wrong battlefield in Iraq and onto the right one in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Obama's plan, coupled with his early opposition to the war, shows he has the judgment necessary to avoid similar conflicts in the future and restore America's place in the world. 

The change Obama seeks includes issues important to students as well. There are 47 million Americans without health insurance in this country. Alarmingly, this includes one in three young adults.  

Under Obama's health care plan, recent college graduates who cannot find a job are eligible to remain on their parents insurance until the age of 25. Covering every American, his plan will cut the cost of a typical family's premiums by up to $2,500 a year. 

Obama is also committed to changing the way we pay for college. Obama's first bill in the Senate increased the maximum Pell Grant from $4,050 to $5,100. Recently, he also co-sponsored the Student Debt Relief Act, which is the first step toward reforming a private lending system that routinely provides student loans at grossly inflated prices. 

Finally, on an issue that is close to many UW-Madison students' hearts, Obama is committed to expanding LGBT rights.  

Obama supports civil unions that give gay couples full rights, opposes the Federal Marriage Amendment and supports the full repeal of the outdated Defense of Marriage Act. Obama also co-sponsored legislation to expand federal hate crime laws to include those perpetrated because of sexual orientation, and he has fought to ban employment discrimination based on sexual orientation. 

Obama is ready to change the way Washington works, both on the issues and in leadership.  

Judging by the incredible welcome Senator Obama received last week at the Monona Terrace, students overwhelmingly support him because they are ready for this change. Our hope for change cannot ultimately rely on Obama himself; it must instead rest on every one of us who hear his message of hope and believe in our own ability to bring change. 

As Senator Obama said in his speech last week: ""If one woman can change a town, then one town can change a city. And if a town can change a city, then a city can change a state. And if a city can change a state, then a state can change a country. And, my friends, if a state can change a country, then a country can change the world."" 

Change the world. Obama for President. 

Ami ElShareif 

chair, Students for Obama_