Committee and UW say yes to budget proposal

: Assembly Minority Leader James Kreuser, D-Kenosha, put forward an amendment Monday that failed to pass the budget committee.

The state budget came one step closer to being finalized Monday, passing out of the Conference Committee of legislative leaders and gaining support by UW System leaders. 

State Sen. Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, was the only committee member to vote against moving the budget to the Republican-controlled state Assembly and Democrat-controlled state Senate for a Tuesday vote. 

Republicans and Democrats in the committee disagreed on an amendment offered by Assembly Minority Leader James Kreuser, D-Kenosha. The amendment, which was not part of the agreement announced by Gov. Jim Doyle and lawmakers Friday, failed four to four along party lines. 

UW System Board of Regents President Mark Bradley and UW System President Kevin Reilly said in a statement that they were pleased overall with the budget moving out of the Conference Committee, despite some differences between what the UW System requested and the current budget proposal. 

We applaud the persistence of Governor Doyle, Representative Huebsch, Senator Robson and other fair-minded leaders, as news of this agreement brings welcomed reassurance for students, parents, faculty and staff across the state,"" Bradley and Reilly said in a statement. 

UW System spokesperson David Giroux said actions that were earlier discussed by UW System administrators in response to the budget impasse, like a possible $800 surcharge, canceling classes and closing some campuses, are no longer being considered. 

Giroux said he was not sure how soon action could be taken on the almost 6,000 UW System students awaiting financial aid because of the budget not being passed.  

Wisconsin Higher Education Grants, included in some of the pending financial aid often offered to low income students, received increased funding in the current budget proposal, according to Giroux. This sends a positive message to prospective students, he added. 

""When they choose to come to a University of Wisconsin campus, the state will be there with financial aid to make it affordable,"" Giroux said. 

Kevin Moore, spokesperson for Assembly Speaker Mike Huebsch, R-West Salem, said it was still likely the budget had enough votes to pass the state Assembly. Moore said a vote is tentatively scheduled at 11 a.m. Tuesday.