Badger golf finishes in sixth

Wisconsin rallied to a sixth-place finish in the final round of play on Wednesday at the Prestige at PGA West in La Quinta, Calif. 

Wisconsin began the final day of this two-day tournament in 12th place, but were able to shoot up the standings at a rapid pace by shooting a 289 in the final round, which marked the fourth best score by any fall team in 18 holes this season. 

Junior Dan Woltman shot a team-high 8-under par to finish in a tie for first overall individually with Clayton Rask of Minnesota. 

Wisconsin's second best individual score came from Danny Zimmerman, who shot an 8-over par to finish tied for 41st in the event. Senior Jeff Kaiser finished third for Wisconsin, shooting 9-over par and finishing tied for 54th overall.  

Charlotte, currently ranked No. 1 in the nation, won the tournament in convincing fashion by shooting a 10-under par. No. 8 Stanford, the defending national champions, finished in a distant second with a score of 2-under par. No. 44 Central Florida finished third at 5-over par, and No. 20 Pepperdine and Texas Christian ended up tied for fourth at a score of 12-over par. 

Wisconsin entered the tournament ranked 31st in the country, falling six spots after finishing in fifth place in the Memphis Tiger Intercollegiate last week. Another drop in the polls is likely for the Badgers after finishing behind lower ranked Central Florida and TCU. Minnesota, ranked 47th, was the only other top-50 team to take part in the event. 

The Badgers will return to the West Coast next week for the Big Ten/Pac-10 Challenge. The Challenge will be the final event for Wisconsin this fall. 

-uwbadgers.com contributed to this report