Obama group garners most support on campus, plans trips to Iowa caucus site

obama: True to his reputation as a popular choice among America's youth, Barack Obama is so far the most popular Presidential candidate at UW-Madison.

Students for Barack Obama has the largest political presence on campus so far with hundreds of signed-up supporters. 

We are absolutely thrilled with where we're at,"" said Andy Gordon, UW-Madison senior and SFBO chair. ""We've been active on campus for a little under two weeks now, and we've already signed up over 600 students, and that's absolutely phenomenal.""  

The group made appearances at the Memorial Union Bash, the College Democrats kick-off and the Student Organization Fair, as well as sending Facebook messages and e-mails to students. 

""Any way to get the message out there [is important],"" Gordon said. 

UW-Madison political science professor Charles Franklin said although historically younger people vote at a lower rate than older people, youth support provides the backbone of campaign workers and volunteers. 

""Youth volunteers are disproportionately important for campaigns, even if the youth vote has been typically smaller than, say, the retiree's vote,"" Franklin said. 

He Obama's campaign could especially benefit from the power of the student vote. 

""I think that Obama has proven to be a particularly attractive candidate for younger voters,"" Franklin said. ""Maybe that's because he really does represent change and a new politic and so on, and I would suspect that he would be very successful at mobilizing college students to work for his campaign."" 

The UW-Madison group is lending special focus to the January Iowa caucuses, striving to win the Democratic primary nomination. They will take five volunteer trips to Dubuque, Iowa, phone-bank to Iowa voters and find Iowa residents on the UW-Madison campus.  

UW-Madison freshman and SFBO member Liz Gilbert said she plans on attending these activities in full support of Obama. 

""I just think that if there's anybody that can fix the mess that we have in and the mess that we have out of our country right now, I really think it can be him,"" Gilbert said. ""The Obama campaign is much more positive and optimistic."" 

SFBO's kick-off meeting is tonight at 6 p.m. in 1100 Grainger Hall. Keynote speakers include Gus Doyle, son of Gov. Jim Doyle, and Ald. Eli Judge, District 8. 

""We are convinced that Senator Obama is the best candidate not only for students but for all people,"" Gordon said.