Methadone availability dangerous to citizens

Two locations in Madison distribute drugs to recovering heroin addicts: one on East Washington and the other on Ann Street. These clinics give out methadone and suboxone, two substances that work like opiates on the brain, binding to the same receptors as heroin and oxycontin. The belief is that these substitute drugs will slowly allow addicts to withdraw from their dependency and help them to re-enter society.  

The distinguishing characteristic of methadone is an extended half-life.  

Unlike other commonly abused substances, a normal dose of methadone lasts from 24 to 36 hours in the human liver. This also makes the euphoric effects of the drug much less. Patients of a methadone maintenance program are usually given one dose per day in liquid (or capsule) form, according to their individual response. This allows patients to avoid painful craving and withdrawal symptoms for the duration of their methadone-induced trips.  

Most proponents accept the possibility that doses of methadone will slip out into the public as collateral damage. In fact, studies conducted by the Committee of Methadone Program Administrators (COMPA) have estimated the economic value of methadone is a $4 profit for every $1 spent.  

Methadone is not a piece of collateral to overlook, because its overdose statistics are near the top of Class II Narcotics.  

One of the most abused drugs, methadone causes twice as many deaths as heroin. This also means the drug's fatality numbers are second only to cocaine. Moreover, the deaths are mostly a result of common misconceptions by doctors and users alike. 

For physicians, methadone's varying effects on the body are difficult to predict and sometimes cause them to accidentally over-prescribe doses to patients. Because of its extended half-life, the methadone can stay in the body for hours or days before the dosage has built up sufficient fatty tissue.  

Conversely, the average person is unaware of the effects. A buddy of mine who claimed to have access to methadone once informed me that taking the drug was, Sweet, man, it is like heroin but, without the side effects. Man."" I believed him at the time, having heard similar information from other people as well. We all remember from sex-ed that your friends are the best sources of information. 

Needless to say, it is puzzling to think there can be so many accidental overdoses, especially with a drug that is used essentially as a nicotine patch for heroin users. If you covered yourself with nicotine patches, you would probably die too. 

If methadone is a bigger killer than the rest of its ilk, then maybe now I can better understand what is written on the inside divider of a certain bathroom stall, ""Heroin is my anti-drug.""