Local produce trend beneficial

As the movement to eat locally grown foods gains momentum, Madison grocers are joining the cause by adding produce grown by farmers located within 100 miles of Madison to their store shelves. 

This recent trend to provide produce from local farms in Madison grocery stores can only benefit members of the community.  

With the addition of local produce, Madison area residents are not only supporting local businesses but will also be consuming fresher and healthier produce.  

There is another added benefit; shoppers will know exactly where the produce comes from.  

With this knowledge, Madison residents can trust that their food is taking less time to reach store shelves and will therefore be fresher. Fresher food has less of a chance of becoming contaminated or infested with bacteria. It will keep longer in residents' homes. Additionally, Madisonians are helping to keep local farms alive.  

A long-standing tradition in Madison is the Dane County Farmer's Market.  

Saturday mornings, many Madison area residents come to the Capitol Square to support local farmers by purchasing their goods. Now community members will have access to local goods everyday, not just Saturdays. 

The grocery stores benefit as well from carrying local produce on their shelves. With an emphasis on locally grown produce, the big chain stores will seem more community-focused and will emulate high-priced grocers at, hopefully, a lower cost.  

The costs of the local produce should not discourage people from buying these products. Although the costs could be marked up compared to farmer's market prices, Madison residents should be able to purchase the produce and support the farms at a fair and reasonable cost. 

Even though grocers are beginning to actively support local farmers, community members must do the same. With increased awareness and easier access, Madison area residents should actively  

seek locally grown produce.  

Grocers, customers and farmers alike will prosper from this mutually beneficial relationship, whether for health or financial reasons.