Lions look to make run at big ten

1. Penn State (3-0) 

Key offense: QB Anthony Morelli, WR Derrick Williams 

Key defense: LB Dan Connor, CB Justin King 

Key games: At Michigan (Saturday), Wisconsin (Oct. 13) 

This ranking may upset most readers, but let's look at this objectively. Barring a loss at the Big House this weekend, the Nittany Lions have what looks to be the easiest path to the Big Ten championship and certainly have the talent to run the table.  

Continuing Penn State's reputation of Linebacker U, senior Dan Connor leads one of the nation's top defenses, and arguably the best in a conference loaded with some very good units. Coming into the season, the offensive side of the ball was a question mark in the minds of many, but three weeks into the season some of those doubts have been erased. After an inconsistent first season as the starter, senior Anthony Morelli has come out in the first three games this year with guns blazing, notching eight touchdowns with only one interception.  

The conference title should come down to a couple of home games against Wisconsin and Ohio State, and the now classic Happy Valley white-out"" will be in effect, providing an electric environment when the Badgers roll into town the second weekend of October. 

2. Wisconsin (3-0) 

Key offense: RB P.J. Hill, TE Travis Beckum 

Key defense: CB Jack Ikeguonu, LB Jonathan Casillas 

Key games: At Penn St. (Oct. 13), At Ohio St. (Nov. 3) 

After three games, many questions have arisen about the Badgers' ability to meet the expectations that were placed upon them during the pre-season - and maybe rightfully so. First, Wisconsin needed a fourth quarter drive to beat a UNLV team that got pounded by Hawaii 49-14 the next week and followed that up by giving up 21 first half points to FCS Citadel, leaving them with a tied game at halftime. But let's look at the bright side, despite the struggles in the last two games, the Badgers are undefeated going into the Big Ten schedule, have shown signs of a very potent offense led by Heisman candidate P.J Hill and still have the talent on defense to field one of the nation's most fearsome units.  

But if Bielema's boys really want to win the Big Ten Championship, those pieces need to come together sooner rather then later and the offense needs to continue its inspired play through what is shaping up to be a tough conference schedule, with road games in both Columbus, Happy Valley and in Champagne against what looks to be a much improved Illinois team. Keep in mind that the Illini put a scare into the Badgers in last year's home matchup. 

3. Ohio State (3-0) 

Key offense: RB Chris Wells, OT Alex Boone 

Key defense: LB James Laurinaitis, CB Malcolm Jenkins 

Key games: At Penn St. (Oct. 27), Wisconsin (Nov. 3) 

The question going into this season for the Buckeyes was how they were going to respond to getting embarrassed by Florida in the BCS National Championship game and how this team was going to score after losing every offensive skill position player. So far the results have been slightly mixed. In last week's game against a resurgent Washington squad, the offense ran all over the Husky defense and the stacked Ohio State defense forced the other UW into four turnovers during a 33-14 romp. This victory would have looked a lot better if the Buckeyes had not struggled so badly in their previous victory against Akron at home, a team that was blown out by the national football powerhouse known as the Indiana Hoosiers the following week. But Ohio State is Ohio State and no matter how many stars they lose, they always have the talent to reload.  

This year's edition of the Buckeyes features star sophomore running back Chris ""Beanie"" Wells, who is the biggest offensive contributor from last year's team to return to Columbus and a very talented defense that was overshadowed by the more acclaimed offense during last year's title run.  

Like the Badgers, Ohio State has to go on the road to face Penn State and follow that up the next week with a big matchup against Wisconsin at home. The Buckeyes will also look to continue their recent ownership of Michigan in this year's edition of ""The Big Game"" in Ann Arbor, without every Michigan fan's worst nightmare: Troy Smith.  

4. Michigan (1-2) 

Key offense: RB Mike Hart, WR Mario Manningham 

Key defense: LB Shawn Crable, SS Jamar Adams 

5. Purdue (3-0) 

Offense: QB Curtis Painter, WR Dorien Bryant 

Defense: DE Cliff Avril, DT Alex Magee 

6. Michigan St. (3-0) 

Key offense: RB's Javon Ringer, Jehuu Caulcrick 

Key defense: FS Otis Wiley, LB SirDarean Adams 

7. Illinois (2-1) 

Key offense: QB Juice Williams, RB Rashad Mendenhall 

Key defense: LB J Leman, CB Vontae Davis 

8. Iowa (2-1) 

Key offense: RB Albert Young, WR Dominique Douglas 

Key defense: DE Ken Iwebema, LB Mike Klinkenborg 

9. Indiana (3-0) 

Key offense: QB Kellen Lewis, WR James Hardy 

Key defense: CB Tracy Porter, DE Greg Brown 

10. Northwestern (2-1) 

Key offense: RB Tyrell Sutton, C Adam Rees 

Defense: DE Corey Wootton, LB Adam Kadela 

11. Minnesota (1-2) 

Key offense: RB Amir Pinnix, WR Ernie Wheelwright 

Key defense: DE Willie VanDeSteeg, SS Dominique Barber