Kosher meat kitchen to open at Chadbourne's Rheta's dining facility

Beginning in early November, a kosher meat kitchen will open in Chadbourne Residence Hall's renovated Rheta's dining facility, which is available to all students.  

According to the Residence Halls and Food Service 2004-2020 Master Plan, University Housing worked with the Chicago Rabbinical Council to establish and staff a kosher kitchen, making this the first time a kosher food service will be offered at the university. 

We certainly are excited to have [the kosher kitchen] because we know that a large number of students on campus who, for religious reasons or other reasons, would like to have that option available,"" said University Housing Director Paul Evans. ""So we think this is another good way to provide additional variety in our food service."" 

Serving faculty and staff in addition to University Housing residents is anticipated, according to the Master Plan.  

""A growing number of schools are offering kosher dining options,"" Evans told the Associated Press, ""but few have full kosher meat kitchens."" 

UW-Madison junior Lauren Salins agrees the addition of a kosher kitchen is a positive step for the university. 

""I think that if people want to be kosher, and it's their religious practice, then I think that it's great that the university is giving them the opportunity to do so,"" said Salins.  

Until late fall, a limited selection of food will be available at Rheta's.  

- o - oThe Associated Press contributed to this report