Golden boys: Men's soccer shines in California tournament

Golden boys: Men's soccer shines in California tournament : Sophomore midfielder Pablo Delgado has tallied three goals in his young Wisconsin career.

The Badgers men's soccer team defeated the No. 7 Cal Golden Bears 1-0 Sunday afternoon to complete a sweep during their weekend trip to Berkeley, California.  

After defeating Stanford 1-0 Friday afternoon, the Badgers came out with another strong performance both defensively and offensively to win the championship game of the Cal Legacy Classic. 

The victory gives the Badgers their third consecutive shutout, and improves their overall season record to 3-1-0. The game-winning goal came courtesy of sophomore forward Pablo Delgado in the 42nd minute on sophomore midfielder Eric Conklin's first career assist. The goal was Delgado's first of the season, and proved to be the difference maker as the Badgers held on for the remaining 50 minutes. 

The guys clearly demonstrated that they were up to the challenge and proved that they deserved this win,"" head coach Jeff Rohrman said. 

The Badgers were led by another strong performance from sophomore goalkeeper Alex Horwath. Horwath, who has started all four games this season after transferring from the University of Connecticut, stopped all four shots on goal he faced. He has only allowed three goals on the season, all coming during the Badgers opening game 3-1 loss to Tulsa. Early on, there were a few scares as the Golden Bears hit the goalpost twice in the first half, but the Badger defense toughened up and kept Cal out of the net. 

The game was a huge boost for the Badgers, who beat the highest ranked opponent they have faced this season.  

Last season the Badgers defeated Illinois-Chicago when the Flames held the No. 7 national ranking.  

After the California sweep, the Badgers return to Wisconsin to play in UW-Milwaukee's annual Panther Classic. They will look to continue their winning streak as they face Gonzaga on Friday and Drake on Sunday afternoon.  

- ouwbadgers.com contributed to this report