End of the year evaluations leave Brewers with hope

Three games out of zero hour, and the Milwaukee Brewers are no more than that number out of first place. But in all likelihood, we're looking at the Chicago Cubs backing into a short stay in the playoffs.  

Several post-season evals, are ready, in no particular order - other than that in which they come to mind. 

Prince Fielder  

Whether the Brewers overcome the odds to make the post-season or not, Prince is the Most Valuable Player in the National League. Youngest player ever to hit 50 home runs in a single season and take-no-prisoners mentality meant everything to the team, even though Prince is a mere 23-years-old. 

Aramis Ramirez  

The most clutch hitter of either team, and a big reason the Cubs won the season series against the Brewers - games that basically shaped the outcome of this cheek by jowl race to the finish. He hits for average and played more than serviceably at third base. 

Derrek Lee  

Overall, the best all-around hitter of either team. Got off to a fast start this year - even while the rest of the team was struggling - and finished well over .300. Also, unlike a lot of the Cubs, he's a class act. 

Ned Yost 

Got a vote of confidence the other day, but, in some ways, it sounded like the pat response an owner or general manager gives when asked about a player or coach under contract. In other words, he's signed for next year, so why wouldn't he be back?  

Let's be candid, though. Yost's managing lost more games than it won this year. His immutable loyalty to certain players who consistently did not perform was inexcusable. He couldn't impel his team to wins on the road, and his calls to the bullpen, to understate it, were at times stupid. The only thing to like about Yost is his willingness to stick up for players, but that should not save him his job. 

Big Z 

If his mound histrionics are that offensive during the regular season, imagine what happens after he celebrates a first-inning strikeout in the playoffs. Carlos Zambrano's talent is out of this world - I defy you to find better ball movement toward the plate. But is that $92 million contract justified? If the Cubs - ahem - punch a ticket to the post-season, we're closer to an answer. 

Ryan Braun 

Went from an unknown quantity when he was called up in late May, to being the second or third best player on the Brewers. Braun has hit better than .300 in his first Major League season, and he hits for some big-time power, too. Defense can be shaky but the big bat more than compensates. The duo of Ryan and Prince is something special to think about. 

Ben Sheets 

The Brewers' so-called biggest gamer"" didn't come close to living up to that reputation this year. Yet there's something to be said for the Brewers record when he's in the rotation instead of in the training room. He pitched really well when he was on the mound (12-5, 3.82), however infrequent that was. Big Ben is under contract for one more season - do the Brewers trade him or let his contract expire and risk losing him for nothing? I wouldn't want to be the one making that decision. 

Brewers' fans 

For some reason, they are fixated on a World Series team that lost in 1982. Should wear more of the new logo next year, less of the ""ball and glove."" 

Cubs' fans 

They have Wrigley-goers always grown so reliably excited over routine fly ball outs? 

For a more detailed explanation of the many complicated intricicies of Jon's evaluation system, e-mail him at bortin@wisc.edu.