Monday, June 17, 2024

Charter and Johnson 80 bus stop closed due to safety concerns

Route 80 bus riders will need to adjust their travel plans, as recent concerns in transit safety have forced Madison Metro to close one of its stops Thursday. 

The ongoing construction on Charter Street caused bus service to close the southbound bus stop on the corner of Charter and Johnson Streets.  

The stop was recently opened Sept. 4 as a replacement for those riders traveling to Union South, as well as to maintain the 80's timely seven to eight-minute schedule. 

The 80, which had been moving from the right lane to the left lane in order to make a left hand turn onto Johnson Street, disrupted the flow of traffic, making the stop a danger to both pedestrians and other motorists. 

Gordon Graham, transportation administrator at UW-Madison's Transportation Services, said Madison Metro informed the university today.  

We just found out about it,"" Graham said. ""From what I understand, there was some kind of traffic safety issue and [Madison Metro] needed to close that bus stop.""  

According to the Madison Metro Transit website, ""the Charter Street and Johnson Street stop will reopen once the safety issues have been addressed."" 

For more information concerning stop changes and transit services, log on to: www.ci.madison.wi.us/metro/.