Carter ignites defense with INTs

The fourth quarter was just starting on a balmy night in the desert of electric Las Vegas. The No. 5 ranked Badgers were trailing a UNLV team that many regarded as having little chance of upsetting UW. 

Maybe it was the atmosphere - playing on a big stage in one of the most famous cities in the world - or maybe it was the momentum that was generating all around Sam Boyd Stadium as the collective buzz began to swirl in hopes of an upset that was beginning to look very possible. All in all, it was not one of UW's finer games.  

Needing any sort of spark to ignite the team, suddenly, a big play happened. Rebel quarterback Travis Dixon rolled out and overthrew his receiver when sophomore safety Shane Carter intercepted the ball and returned it 32 yards to give the offense great field position for a drive that would lead to a go-ahead field goal. 

It [was] huge,"" senior quarterback Tyler Donovan said referring to Carter's recent play. ""He came up big in the last two games and really sends a statement to our offense that when they get a turnover, we are going to capitalize on it and take advantage of what they gave us."" 

Carter re-established the fact that he has all the means necessary to become a playmaker when the same situation arose against The Citadel at Camp Randall Stadium last Saturday. Locked up in a surprising but heated battle against the Bulldogs, another national storyline - a la Michigan losing to Appalachian State - was starting to swirl around the stadium and sports websites. 

Following sophomore safety Aubrey Pleasant's clutch sack of Citadel quarterback Duran Lawson on the Bulldog's first play of the second half, Carter glided over toward the Badger sideline and leapt in the air to haul in a crucial interception that led to the rout UW displayed the rest of the half. 

""He's definitely set the tone that he's a playmaker on defense,"" Donovan said. ""He's a guy that stepped up in some key situations and you know he's going to keep doing it."" 

Carter is no stranger to being around superb athletes. His brother Butch Carter played college basketball at Indiana before playing for the New York Knicks in the NBA, and his brother Cris Carter is remembered as one of the greatest wide receivers to ever play the game, both in college and in the NFL. The younger Carter is starting to make a name for himself as he showcases his athletic abilities for the Badger defense. 

""The momentum just totally swings in our favor and Shane's done a great job of making that happen for us in very key situations both times,"" senior wide receiver Luke Swan said. ""[At] UNLV that really helped us win the game, and this last time [he] really got us going in the second half in the right direction."" 

Through three games, Carter has recorded 12 tackles and two interceptions as he credits his play to the leaders on the defensive side of the ball. 

""I just try to do my job, you know, we got a lot of great leaders on the defense so they lead themselves,"" Carter said. ""I just try to go out there and take care of my assignment and just help us win. I feel confident, you know, I just go out there and just hope plays come my way and make them when they do.""