BREAKING NEWS: Armed robbery on Park Street, near Smith and Ogg

opener: Police tape cordons off portions of the roundabout in front of Smith Residence Hall and 21 Park St.

Parts of the southern section of the UW-Madison campus were put on lockdown today after a suspicious, possibly armed man was reportedly seen inside the Bursar's Office.  

This comes on the heels of Tuesday's lockdown, where police warned of a suicidal man, who claimed he was armed and that he wanted to be killed by police. In both cases, more than 60,000 UW students and faculty were notified via mass e-mail. 

The Bursar's Office at 21 N. Park St. and Newell Smith Residence Hall were the two buildings put on lock down. Police said they received reports about a suspected armed robbery of Fraboni's, 822 Regent St.  

Madison Police Department spokesperson Joel DeSpain said a suspicious man was seen inside the Bursar's Office, and an employee in the building notified police. DeSpain said the man was found and taken into custody. At this point, however, the suspect remains a person of interest in the armed robbery case. 

Once we heard that the suspect was possibly seen inside 21 N. Park St., we locked down the building,"" said UWPD Sgt. Clark Brunner. ""University communications sent out a mass e-mail to approximately 60,000 people on the UW campus'¦ stating that they should avoid this area until the all clear was given."" 

At approximately 1:30 p.m. both the Bursar's Office and Smith Hall were reopened. Only the seventh floor of the Bursar's Office remains cut off as police continue their investigation.