Letter from the editor

The Daily Cardinal may have 115 years under its belt as UW-Madison's first independent student newspaper, but with a redesigned paper and website, it's feeling younger than ever. 

Take a look around: In print, the fonts are fresher and the layout is cleaner. Online, dailycardinal.com simplifies navigation while enhancing interactivity and story depth.  

Each facet of this redesign answers student requests regarding our newspaper and website. We balanced suggestions for a modernized look with a desire to maintain timeless appeal. 

As a result, the new Daily Cardinal is classy, classic and takes our motto - complete campus coverage"" - to an entirely new level.  

The website now includes breaking news, multimedia and online exclusives. In print, the page design is sleeker and more professional. 

We launched the redesign with an ear to our readers, and invite compliments and criticism on the final product.  

The Daily Cardinal will improve by the day as we work out the kinks and incorporate reader feedback.  

Students who are interested in getting involved with The Daily Cardinal should attend our organizational meeting on Sept. 7 at 3:30 p.m. in 2195 Vilas Hall. 

Best regards, 

Jill H. Klosterman