UW-Madison cycling club picks nation’s best trails

The term ""mountain biking"" can be deceiving.  

""You'd think you'd have to be in well-known mountain ranges to bike,"" said UW-Madison senior Darrell Weden. 

But in actuality, you don't. Just ask Amelia Barber, the mountain biking season coordinator for The UW-Madison Cycling Club, who said mountain biking doesn't have to be done in the high mountains across the country.  

Nationally, the team has traveled to Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri and Kentucky. There are other areas that are top-notch for mountain biking. 

Here are some of the best mountain biking locales, from the hills and valleys of Virginia to the deep ridges in Death Valley, California: 

Acadia National Park, Maine 

Within the Acadia Mountains, there are more than 55 miles of sandy, rocky and windy trails that cyclists can explore while in Acadia National Park. 

The terrain is varied, and it's a perfect destination for people of all skill levels—within the gated area, the trails are smooth and wide enough for several people or groups to pedal next to each other. 

Big Bend National Park, Texas: 

With more than 1,100 miles of mountains, sky-high river canyons and desert badlands, this park leaves a big impression for mountain bikers.  

Cyclists will get an opportunity to experience deserts, mountains and rivers in this mild climate, and the adjacent public lands have more than 2 million acres of surrounding wildlife habitat. 

Death Valley National Park, California 

This park won't kill you, as the mountain bike trails are located only on established roadways—off-road biking is not as common.  

Located east of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, it covers more than 5,000 miles of arid land. Top places to visit include Badwater, Dante's View, the Mesquite Sand Dunes and the Mosaic Canyon. 

Moab, Utah 

Two national parks—Arches and Canyonland—are found in Moab, located in southeastern Utah, and both offer some of the best views and bike trails in the country. 

Schwinn, one of the most popular bike vendors even named a bike, the ""Moab Mountain Bike,"" in honor of the town's great riding opportunities. There are more than 10 different major routes, and at least 10 tour companies where one can sign up to ride. 

Moab's red rocks also are conducive to off-road jeeping, hiking, and whitewater rafting on the Colorado River. 

Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado 

Want a challenge? With more than 60 mountains towering at more than 12,000 feet, Rocky Mountain National Park is nearly always located as a top-three mountain biking destination.  

The park's beauty is also second-to-none, with its eclectic mix of evergreen and aspen trees, wildflowers, glaciers, valleys and snow-covered peaks. More than 100 square miles rise above the timberline. 

Before riding to the top of the mountains, make sure you're prepared to handle the altitude—drink a lot of water, and let yourself get used to being a mile or two above sea level before tackling the peaks. 

Shenandoah National Park, Virginia 

Located in northern Virginia, this mountain bike getaway is perfect for travelers also venturing to the nation's capital. 

The Blue Ridge Mountains encompass the beauty of this 300-square mile park, and it's great for a peaceful and moderate bike ride through valleys and pastures next to the Shenandoah River.