Memorial Library to extend all-day finals week hours

Memorial Library will extend its days of 24-hour finals hours to include the three days before finals week this semester, according to Associated Students of Madison Vice Chair Gestina Sewell.  

Although Memorial Library usually stays open 24 hours during finals week, Sewell said, some students want to begin studying before finals week into the late hours of the night.  

By working with ASM's Shared Governance Committee and the Memorial Library Committee, Sewell said ASM negotiated for Memorial Library to stay open 24 hours the Friday, Saturday and Sunday before finals week—May 11-13.  

ASM Student Council members unanimously supported the extended hour proposal, according to Sewell, especially after safety precautions were agreed upon. 

Memorial Library will station security guards at the Library's main entrance, according to Sewell, and the stacks will be closed because office staff will not be present in the stacks during late hours. The study rooms and computer labs will be open, and students will be able to check out books until midnight, like usual, but can return books at any time during the 24-hour periods. 

""This is a pilot program to see how it works,"" Sewell said.  

She explained ASM does not want to waste money and resources if students do not actively use the Memorial Library's extended hours. The extra three days of 24-hour Memorial Library availability will be implemented for this semester, Sewell said, and the effectiveness of the extended hours will be analyzed after the semester.  

""But this could pave the way for extended hours at other libraries around campus,"" she said, pointing out Steenbock, 550 Babcock Dr., and Wendt, 215 N. Randall Ave., Libraries with earlier closing times.