‘48-Hour Practice’ confuses cause with benefactor

In the discourse of human rights and humanitarian efforts, there is a key component that has gone missing in the effort for charity and relief on Library Mall in the past 48 hours: the human aspect.  

There has been a clear breach of respect for personhood and individuality, which is not uncommon when people gather to fight for a cause, particularly anything concerning ""Africa.""  

The UW Athletic Department's 48-hour practice for HIV/AIDS consistently used language such as ""give money to help an African"" or ""bring water to African children."" Although this sit-in has good intentions, it is completely inappropriate to use this kind of language in reference to a diverse and thriving continent.  

I acknowledge that ""help an African"" is perhaps thought to elicit guilt on behalf of the passerby much in the same way as saying ""help stop sexual assault."" However, one of the greatest issues here is educating peers about stereotypes, social justice issues and language.  

In future efforts to bring attention to any relief fund or social justice cause, it is important to acknowledge the difference between the cause and the benefactor. Africa is not a ""dark continent"" into which we must pour our pocket change.  

Rather than placing helplessness onto every one of the near billion people in Africa and furthering the idea of a homogenous continent, raising awareness about the need for available, clean drinking water in certain areas in specific African countries will bring light to a real issue and prevent further misunderstandings about the ""helpless African."" 

Kelly Kroehle 

Senior 

Women's Studies/Social Welfare