Red, White ready for battle

The Wisconsin football team concludes its spring season with the annual Spring Game Saturday at Camp Randall Stadium. To prepare football-hungry Badgers fans for the clash of red versus white, The Daily Cardinal presents its first segment of Five Things to Watch in 2007. 

1. The Quarterback Question 

All eyes will be focused on signal callers Tyler Donovan and Allan Evridge Saturday as the two quarterbacks compete for the first time in front of a Camp Randall crowd. Both quarterbacks have shown flashes of greatness during spring practice. Yet, while Donovan and Evridge have split time working with the first- team offense, neither has matched the consistency of their predecessor, John Stocco. 

Fans should also keep an eye on sophomore Dustin Sherer, who despite competing mostly against the second-string defense, out-performed both Donovan and Evridge in last weekend's scrimmage. 

2. ‘Tackling' a Tall Order 

Replacing Stocco might be a difficult task. Finding an offensive lineman to replicate the play of Outland Trophy winner Joe Thomas will be nearly impossible. Early in 2007, UW offensive line coach Bob Palcic has rotated sophomore Jake Bscherer and freshman Gabe Carimi at the left tackle position.  

Junior defensive end Matthew Shaughnessy has battled against both Bscherer and Carimi during the spring. Although he noted that neither lineman possesses Thomas' skills, Shaughnessy said both have shown improvement. 

""They're getting better with their hands and their footwork, and they're not jumping offside as much,"" Shaughnessy said. 

There would be no better time for Bscherer or Carimi to step up than in the last competition of the spring. 

3. The Fast and the Furious  

The departure of linebacker Mark Zalewski left a hole in the middle of the Badger defense, but sophomore Elijah Hodge has proven he is more than capable of filling the void. Juniors DeAndre Levy and Jonathan Casillas complete one of the fastest linebacking corps in UW history.  

""I think last year we did pretty good. We showed a little speed,"" Levy said. ""We want to show that we can be physical as well—tough linebackers. I think that's the biggest thing—physicality and toughness at linebacker."" 

All three fly to the football and have been extremely active in disrupting the offense's passing game. 

4. Safety Lessons 

Shoulder surgeries sidelined sophomore safeties Shane Carter and Aubrey Pleasant for the majority of last season. Yet both are quickly becoming two of the more entertaining players on the Wisconsin team. Head coach Bret Bielema has praised Carter for his hard-hitting tackling ability, and Pleasant is emerging as a vocal leader on the defense.  

Despite starting for the first time in front of Badger backers, neither safety said they were concerned with impressing the fans. 

""I'm going to help this defense win games,"" Carter said. ""I'm going to try to make plays ... and just try to make this defense better and continue where we left from last year."" 

Pleasant echoed Carter's statements. 

""I'm just going to go out there and play,"" Pleasant said. ""I'm here for a reason. I'm playing right now for a reason. I just want to keep doing that and hopefully the fans will sit back and enjoy the show."" 

If Carter and Pleasant play like they have during spring practice, UW should see quite a show on Saturday. 

5. Texas Head-Hunter 

Jay Valai is not a household name at UW, at least not yet. Although he stands only 5'9,' Valai, a redshirt freshman from Euless, Texas, is one of the hardest hitters in the Badger secondary. Look for him to literally make some noise when Wisconsin goes to its nickel package.  

Injury Report 

Sophomore running back P. J. Hill wore a green no-contact jersey and participated in drills with the other running backs during practice Thursday. Junior defensive lineman Mike Newkirk did not practice and walked around the McClain Center with crutches and a medical support boot on his lower left leg and foot. 

Spring Game Notes 

The Spring Game begins at 3 p.m. Saturday following the Badger Sports Kids' Fair, which starts at 1 p.m. Admission to both events is free.