Meteorologists predict surge of snow that may last through week

It may be spring, but according to the National Weather Service, Madison can expect up to a foot of snow by Wednesday night.  

Madison was placed under a Winter Weather Storm Warning late Tuesday that, according to the National Weather Service, is going to last through Wednesday evening. 

According to meteorologist Bob Lindmeier, rain changed to snow overnight and most of the snow accumulation—approximately six inches—is to occur between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. Wednesday. He said the average snowfall for April is 3.5 inches, so the storm could bring twice the normal accumulation for this time of year.  

""It's above average, but it's not that unusual,"" Lindmeier said. ""Sometimes it happens, and I'm not surprised."" 

Lindmeier also said the snow could create dangerous road conditions for morning and evening rush hours.  

Chris Kelley, Madison's Streets Operations Manager, said the city is prepared for possible poor road conditions. Still, he said he does not foresee a problem because the temperature of the ground is expected to stay well above freezing. 

""The road temperature is going to stay around 45 degrees, so we don't expect a problem with slippery streets. Just in case we do, we are ready,"" Kelley said. ""We have the crews ready to go, we have the trucks ready.""  

Lindmeier agreed with Kelly and said the snow would not stay around for long because rain is forecast for the weekend and temperatures are expected to climb into the 40s. He said it is possible that the storm could bring more snow over the weekend.  

""We have another storm system coming in for Friday and Saturday, and although we're thinking mainly rain with that, there could be some snow accumulation. But it's really too early to say,"" Lindmeier said.  

According to Jon Martin, UW Professor of Meteorology, the main concern with melting snow and possible rain on Friday night is the potential for flooding.  

""Not only does the air get warm, but it rains heavily on top of [the melting snow] and you get twice as much liquid flowing over the ground as what actually fell out of the sky,"" Martin said.  

Unfortunately, Martin said, the wet wintry weather is supposed to continue for the rest of the week. The forecast calls for heavy rain Friday and Saturday, with wind and cooler air coming in behind that, keeping temperatures in the 40s for the weekend, Martin said.  

UW-Madison freshmen Shaun Aukland said the cold weather makes him depressed, and he said the fact that he is not able to wear shorts yet is ridiculous.  

""I think that there should be no snow allowed past spring break. When that happens, it becomes more paramount that the university cancel class,"" Aukland said.