Controversy centers on alcohol, hip-hop for new owners of Majestic

Madison residents met Monday with the new prospective owners of the Majestic Theatre and debated the new business plan for the old, violence-plagued club. 

Bar brawls and shootings last summer caused Club Majestic to close down. However, the new owners—Scott Leslie and Matt Gerding—plan to shy away from the club scene and promised to bring to the theatre ""a new ownership—a new start.""  

During the meeting, Leslie and Gerding addressed concerns about alcohol policy, capacity issues, security concerns and the presence of hip-hop music. Beyond renovating the space to include more public restrooms and standing room for concerts, the new owners plan to turn the venue away from alcohol and more towards alternative music. 

Capacity is set at 600 for large events, and the new owners said they will not offer any ‘all you can drink' specials. 

""People at the old Club Majestic were going for one reason and one reason only: to get drunk,"" Leslie said. ""People will be going to our events to [hear the music].""  

The theatre's purpose, according to Gerding, is to foster mainly alternative artists. Still, he said he would not turn down a hip-hop venue if it promises to sell tickets and attract the right customers. 

Despite the promises made by the new owners, some community members cringe at the thought of a re-opening the club, fearing it will become another Club Majestic. 

""I don't want any more shootings, stabbings or muggings in my backyard,"" said Madison resident Jamie McCarville. ""I don't like to see crime in my neighborhood."" 

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he understands concerns exist and that some feel that it will be a repeat of last summer's violence, but he said the new theatre will be a great venue for students. 

""I've thought long and hard about this and I am confident that the new Majestic Theatre will be an asset to the community and, in particular, to the campus,"" Verveer said. ""[Leslie and Gerding] have a well thought out plan, unlike the Majestic Club of last year, which was exclusively a DJ hip-hop night club."" 

""I have lived downtown for 39 years, and I think this venture is a great opportunity for Madison residents to enjoy more diversified entertainment,"" said Madison resident Rosemary Lee. ""You don't judge a geographical site for a new owner on the basis of what happened there in an old establishment.""  

Majestic Theatre is set to open in September pending approval from the Alcohol License Review Committee.