Charges of Greek exclusivity false

While the Greek system may be better served by ignoring columnist Nick Barbash's April 12 piece, ""Delta Zeta incident showcases Greeks,"" it is partly his claim that we evade the press that has spurred our reaction. An uninformed opinion does little to slight our accomplishments, but instead offers a unique opportunity to highlight them. 

Mr. Barbash accuses Greeks of exclusivity and alleges we are sham community service-based organizations. He claims we have a lust for ""power,"" but where is the self-interest in charitable donations totaling hundreds of thousands of dollars yearly?  

For instance, the upcoming Humorology show, the Greek system's largest philanthropic effort, is projected to raise $40,000 for Camp Heartland. This endlessly compassionate organization provides sanctuary to AIDS-affected children who have truly been the victims of exclusivity, thanks in large part to Greek fundraising. Is it still so easy to allege a Greek desire for exclusivity? 

With 34 chapters, we cannot help but be extraordinarily inclusive. Effectually anyone on campus is able to join, with an inclusion rate near 99 percent. The only hurdle to full inclusion is an inadequate amount of chapters for a university of Wisconsin's size. 

Mr. Barbash's statement, ""...it goes without saying that superficiality is the bedrock of the Greek lifestyle,"" is not only foolish, but completely mistaken. We only seek to recruit members who support ideals such as leadership, scholarship, solidarity and community service.  

He claims self-perpetuation of these stereotypes is our own intentional doing. However, it is biased and unfounded pseudo-journalism that perpetuates these stigmas. Does he not see the irony in attacking a group for alleged exclusivity and superficiality while clinging to the most narrow-minded of viewpoints? 

By claiming, ""being Greek doesn't entail being bright,"" Mr. Barbash takes an isolated incident from a single chapter and recklessly applies it to all Greeks. We do not so easily take the irresponsibility of a columnist and haphazardly extend it to all student journalists. 

—Sarah Anderson 

President-Panhellenic Asso. 

Kappa Alpha Theta Sorority 

—Adam Korn 

Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity