Final series, chances for UW

For all Wisconsin men's hockey fans, last weekend's sweep at Michigan Tech is still fresh on their minds, and Crease Creatures across campus aren't sure what to think about this weekend's upcoming series at Minnesota Duluth.  

However, the Badgers (14-17-3, 11-13-2 WCHA) know exactly how to react to such a pivotal road sweep.  

""You just have to let it go. It's as simple as it sounds. On Sunday when we got back we were all saying to each other forget about it,"" sophomore forward Jack Skille said. ""We can't sit there and dwell on the past. We had to come in this week and have a good week at practice and we did. We had a great week of practice."" 

A great week of practice is what UW needed after scoring only two goals last weekend. Both goals were scored in Saturday's match by freshman forward Michael Davies.  

Davies has been a staple of the Badgers' offensive attack late in the season, and the freshman-phenom explained how he has been successful.  

""I've just been going out there and playing my game, taking what is given, and going out there and playing hockey and just having fun,"" Davies said. 

On the other hand, the Bulldogs are coming off of a sweep of Alaska Anchorage and are looking to continue their momentum into the postseason. Minnesota Duluth is led by Mason Raymond, who is second in the conference with 43 points. On the defensive end, the Bulldogs are led by senior netminder Josh Johnson, who has a save percentage of .901 on only 264 saves, a tribute to MDU's defense.  

The Badgers expect a tough series this weekend at Minnesota.  

""They are a lot like a lot of teams in our league,"" senior forward Jake Dowell said. ""They play very hard and get all over the place and give themselves a chance to win because of their hard work."" 

Minnesota Duluth cannot catch one of the top five spots in the conference for a home-ice series, and while it is still possible, however unlikely, that Wisconsin will, the team is not worried about what is going on off of the ice.  

""It's on the backburner. All we need to do is the only thing we can, and that's beat Duluth,"" Dowell said. ""If we don't win our games then nothing is going to happen for us because we are going to be on the road no matter what. Regardless of whether were on the road or at home for the playoffs, I just think that is the biggest issue. I thinks it's more wherever we are we need to be playing well."" 

The other games this weekend are still significant for UW, but without a sweep at Minnesota Duluth Wisconsin will have no chance of snatching away one of the spots for home ice in the playoffs. 

There is tremendous pressure on the Badgers this weekend, and they know exactly what needs to be done.  

""We need to come right out of the gates hard, get some shots on the net right away. We need to let them know that we are here and that we are for real this time,"" Skille said. ""We have to send a message that we are not just a team to be pushed over."" 

Both games start at 7 p.m. on FSN North, but due to winter storms in Minnesota, the FSN broadcast team did not make the trip. Instead, FSN will use Duluth's local ABC affiliate feed from WDIO.