Despite nasty Feb. weather, traffic fatalities decrease

A total of 42 people died in Wisconsin car crashes during this past February due to the frigid and dangerous winter weather conditions.  

""Severe storms made driving treacherous throughout the state in February and we still have several weeks of winter weather ahead of us,"" said Wisconsin State Patrol Maj. Dan Lonsdorf, director of the Bureau of Transportation Safety in a statement.  

The death toll resulted from 36 car crashes in February. February 2006, 43 people were killed in 41 accidents, according to statistics from the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.  

A total of 95 people have been killed this year in 80 traffic incidents, according to a WisDot statistic as of Feb. 28. Among the fatalities were nine pedestrians and one bicyclist.  

Despite the bad weather, the five-year average number of traffic deaths is slightly lower. The five-year average is 43 deaths resulting from car crashes.  

The deadliest month of February occurred in 1968 with 73 deaths.  

To prevent traffic crashes Lonsdorf stressed wearing a seat belt, driving slowly and leaving plenty of space between vehicles.