Chancellor’s assistant takes job at Georgetown

Senior Special Assistant to the Chancellor LaMarr Billups announced Wednesday he is leaving UW-Madison in May to accept a position at Georgetown University. 

""I have tremendous appreciation for the experience I have gained and opportunities that I have had during my time here,"" Billups said in a release, adding that he viewed the change as ""a capstone opportunity that I simply could not pass up."" 

Billups has worked as director of community relations for 11 years. He also helped to manage relations between the university and local governments like the Madison Office of the Mayor. He represented the chancellor and the university when he served on the Alcohol License Review committee and Madison's Streetcar Study committee.  

""LaMarr has helped the university build and sustain a tremendously productive relationship with the broader Dane County Community,"" said UW-Madison Chancellor John Wiley. 

Billups was similarly involved with student-led issues on campus. Throughout his term at UW-Madison, members of the Student Labor Action Coalition have worked closely with Billups on various issues like labor licensing policies and the university's stance on manufacturing UW gear under sweatshop conditions. 

""He's probably one of the best administrators at this school,"" said SLAC member Ashok Kumar. 

According to Kumar, Billups' reputation was highly respected and the university is losing a valuable asset.