Carter, Pleasant take over at safety for UW

Ask a group of Badger fans who head coach Bret Bielema has slated to replace starting quarterback John Stocco and the majority would probably answer senior signal caller Tyler Donovan. The more educated enthusiasts will insist that Kansas State transfer Allan Evridge will also try to take Stocco's place. 

Yet ask the Wisconsin faithful who Bielema has penciled in to play at the safety positions vacated by Joe Stellmacher and Roderick Rogers, and blank stares will most likely follow. Zach Hampton? Johnny White? No, they graduated too.  

Aubrey Pleasant and Shane Carter may not be household names, but solid play by these two sophomore safeties will be vital to the Badgers' success this fall.  

Pleasant and Carter face the daunting task of trying to replicate the stellar seasons by Rogers, who earned second-team all-conference honors, and Stellmacher, who received an all-conference honorable mention. 

The seniors made key contributions to a defense that ranked first in the Big Ten in scoring defense, passing defense and pass defense efficiency. 

""Stell, he was an amazing leader and he always knew where to be,"" Pleasant said. ""The main thing was his corners could trust him because they didn't have to turn around and see where he was. They just knew he was going to be there."" 

Junior cornerback Allen Langford said the young safeties are slowly developing chemistry with their corners, who are taking on the leadership roles in the secondary. 

""Aubrey and Shane are picking up where Rod and Stell left off,"" Langford said. ""It's kind of interesting this year because me and Jack [Ikegwuonu] are the older guys now, so now they're looking to us for questions like last year we were looking to the seniors. It's kind of reverse roles this year."" 

Pleasant and Carter redshirted last season as they both underwent shoulder surgery, but the sophomores contributed on special teams in 2005.  

""Shane and Aubrey both played as true freshmen,"" defensive backs coach Kerry Cooks said. ""Shane was in our nickel package for the first few games [last season] until he decided to redshirt because of his shoulder. It's not like those guys don't have any experience. They've been through the fire. They just haven't been through it full time."" 

Bielema recognized Carter as one of the impact players during the first few days of practice. 

""He's very vocal. He communicates very well, directing traffic back there,"" Bielema said. ""We knew right away when Shane came in he was a playmaker. ... He's a guy that wants to take control. He's a guy that thrives on being that guy in the huddle that they can count on to make the right calls, make the right answers. "" 

So while fans and pundits will be buzzing about Stocco's replacements at quarterback, Pleasant and Carter will look to call the signals and dish out the shots for the defense. 

Plays of the Week 

Quarterback Tyler Donovan lofted a picture-perfect pass to fellow senior Luke Swan on a deep ‘chair' route along the left sideline during an 11-on-11 scrimmage Saturday. 

Junior tight-end Travis Beckum made an acrobatic diving catch over the middle after a defender tipped quarterback Allan Evridge's pass during a seven-on-seven drill. 

Injury Report 

Sophomore running back Lance Smith, who had been taking most of the reps with Wisconsin's first-team offense, suffered a minor left ankle injury Saturday. As Smith jogged down the sideline after the whistle had blown, Carter attempted to strip the ball from Smith's hands. The 5'10'' rusher from Warren, Ohio, stepped awkwardly as he avoided the sophomore safety. 

Smith jogged on the sideline and after having the ankle re-taped, participated in a few drills. He did not play in the 11-on-11 full contact scrimmage. 

Sophomore running back Tyler Holland and freshman Noah Stoltz replaced Smith during the scrimmage. 

Smith participated fully in Tuesday's practice with his ankle heavily taped. Junior tight-end Sean Lewis did not practice on Saturday or Tuesday.  

Quick Slant 

Miles Smith attended practice Saturday with other high school juniors and his father, Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith. The group watched part of the Badger practice as part of recruiting weekend.