Wisconsin AIDS cases up 9 percent in 2006

Recent statistics from the Wisconsin Department of Health showed a statewide increase in the number of diagnosed cases of AIDS/HIV.  

In 2005, the state reported 373 cases, but this number rose to 408 in 2006, a 9 percent increase. 

Dane County alone reported 64 cases of AIDS/HIV in 2006. This is a major concern for the campus area, seeing as 11 percent of all AIDS/HIV cases in Wisconsin are diagnosed between the ages of 20-24.  

""Of the 63 or 64 cases, I am willing to guess 2/3 of that doesn't affect the typical undergraduate at the university,"" said UW-Madison sociology professor John DeLamater, who deals with AIDS/HIV issues in many of his classes.  

As the statistics show, many cases are not diagnosed until after the age of 25, with the 25-44 age bracket accounting for 71 percent of all AIDS/HIV cases.  

Referring to the statewide increase, DeLamater said, ""I doubt that's an increase that involves primarily the campus.""  

The study showed that in the last 23 years, Wisconsin residents reported 9,523 cases of AIDS/HIV.  

In dealing with AIDS/HIV, prevention is key. Although science is providing more treatments for patients, there is still no cure. Using protection and being honest about your sexual history with your partner are important preventative measures.  

More information about AIDS/HIV prevention can be obtained at University Health Services.