Tucker wins POW, talks about battle with Texas’ Durant

With five games remaining in the regular season, the UW men's basketball team is still in a first place tie with No. 2 Ohio State. Here is The Daily Cardinal's weekly report on the Badgers: 

Player of the Week: Alando Tucker 

Senior forward Alando Tucker led all scorers in both wins over Penn State and Iowa last week. He also pulled down 15 rebounds on the week and added three steals with only two turnovers. His performance earned him co-Big Ten Player of the Week, which he shared with Ohio State freshman guard Mike Conley Jr. After Monday's practice, Tucker said it is just a matter of stepping up his game down the stretch.  

""This is the time that everyone—I keep telling them in the locker room—everyone has to step up their play because it's coming down to the last five games in the Big Ten and we are trying to go 5-0,"" Tucker said. ""We have to step up our play and it starts with me. They see that and recognize that I'm taking my game to another level and everyone follows."" 

On top of averaging 22.5 points per game last week, Tucker became the second UW player in history to score over 2,000 points in his career. 

X-Factor of the Week: Joe Krabbenhoft 

Iowa head coach Steve Alford can do the explaining on this one: 

""I thought Krabbenhoft was the difference in the game,"" Alford said after Iowa's 74-62 loss to Wisconsin Saturday. ""He had eight points, eight rebounds and five of them were offensive. So, a guy who comes off their bench and only plays 17 minutes, I thought he was the difference because it seemed like his offensive rebounds were backbreakers for us ... I thought Krabbenhoft was the x-factor."" 

Krabbenhoft overcame two missed layups in the first half Saturday and finished with the solid stat line that Alford was referring to. His performance was not lost on his teammates either.  

""He's always the x-factor whenever we play,"" Tucker said. ""He's coming up with key rebounds, key plays and that's one of those things that has helped us be so successful this year—it's Joe Krabbenhoft."" 

On Deck: Minnesota 

UW (10-1 Big Ten, 24-2) leaves town for its third weekday road trip in as many weeks. This time the No. 3 Badgers travel to the University of Minnesota to take on the Golden Gophers (3-8, 9-16) who they beat 68-45 Jan. 6 at the Kohl Center. 

The game marks the last time senior guard Kammron Taylor will get the opportunity to play in his hometown of Minneapolis. 

""I think this year [Taylor] has to prove something,"" Tucker said Monday. ""In the past he has been too pumped up at times and it has shown in his game. This year I think he is poised and he is excited and he knows it's his last year so I think he wants to put on a performance there, but he's going to do it in the context of the team."" 

Game of the Week: Indiana at Purdue, Wed, 6 p.m. 

If Purdue (5-6, 16-9) wants to make a run at the NCAA Tournament, it needs to start now. That means tonight's game at home against Indiana is a must win. Purdue has played well at home, losing only to Ohio State. Meanwhile, Indiana has only one conference road win, at last place Penn State. 

Tucker OK with Durant 

With Texas freshman sensation Kevin Durant getting a lot of looks for National Player of the Year along with Tucker, the old debate about whether a freshman deserves it over a senior is back. Tucker, however, has no problem with Durant being a candidate. 

""It doesn't matter,"" Tucker said. ""If you are doing the things to help your team win, if you have all the ability, then I don't think there should be an age limit on that. [Durant] put himself in a position to be a candidate and that's fine with me.""