Steve Brown building scars campus skyline

Most students recently received an e-mail from Steve Brown Apartments showcasing its new University Square apartment building. The website contains pictures and details of the building, and though the structure itself is impressive, the building casts a high-class and out-of-place shadow on Madison's future. 

First of all, the Steve Brown building literally casts a shadow on Madison. The 14-story building will be much taller than surrounding buildings. Also, future plans for university construction include tearing down the old freshman dorms, starting with Ogg Hall in spring 2008. This will leave a good amount of open space between Dayton Street and University Avenue, which gives the new building even more prominence.  

Steve Brown is probably licking his chops over the prospect of having this new skyscraper (by Madison standards) dominating the local skyline. This idea contrasts greatly with the previous tenants of University Square.  

The new building replaces the old University Square strip mall, which provided such establishments as Curry N' Hurry and a movie theater. Now it seems the old shops are long gone and new, chic retail stores and apartments are in.  

Although I have only limited insight into which retail stores will occupy the building, one has to imagine locally owned establishments won't stand a chance due to high rent costs. This might even be the intent of the building owners as part of a new image of a high-priced and high-class building. 

The building's website shows images of glass, lights and class never before seen on campus. On the University Square website, there is ample evidence suggesting this building is not marketed to the starving college student.  

Here's what to expect on the digital tour: middle-aged folks wearing khakis and sweaters walking along University Avenue as a Porsche convertible turns toward Humanities—hardly the student lifestyle. The next freeze frame highlights billboards and signage that look more like Madison Avenue than Madison, Wis.  

One slide shows a gourmet market at the corner of the building. I am familiar with Corner Market and Triangle Market, but not a gourmet market. I wonder if gourmet markets sell Hot Pockets.  

The remaining slides show glimpses of the rooms and views. One picture shows a living room setting with a coffee table garnished with a tea kettle, two cups of tea and an open book (for leisure, presumably). The last time I saw something like that was in my grandmother's old-age home. Lastly, the views are what one would expect—you can see all of Madison since no other building obstructs the view. 

But the best aspect of the new University Square is that University Health Services will move there. I am still haunted to this day by the memory of walking a few miles to get checked out for what I later learned was mono. The fact that students won't have to carbo-load and drink Gatorade the night before in order to make it to UHS alive is much appreciated. 

Although I may seem skeptical about the new University Square, I have to acknowledge the fact that Steve Brown did not enter this project without the greatest intention of creating a new Madison landmark, something which this new building will accomplish for better or worse. There's that and the fact that I am still bitter about the loss of Curry N' Hurry.