Rose brings fresh look

The university has narrowed the search for Dean of Students down to three finalists: Timothy Gordon, Brian Rose and interim Dean of Students Lori Berquam.  

Berquam has done an adequate job in the position; however, we feel what the position needs more than anything is new energy—someone who will revitalize the position and its interaction with the student body. As such, we feel Brian Rose is the best candidate to fill the position of dean of students.  

Rose worked as associate vice president for student affairs at Rutgers University in New Jersey and received a law degree from Georgetown University. 

Given Rose's varied and experienced background, we believe he has the most potential to bring energy to the position and interact with the student body.  

Rose comes from one of the most diverse universities in the nation, and we believe when presented with the diversity challenge on campus ,he will be able to come up with fresh ideas to integrate and retain minority students.  

As UW-Madison continually finds itself on the national playing field in academics and athletics, a candidate from a nationally well-known university would also put students at a greater advantage.  

Gordon is by far the weakest candidate. His answers to questions on diversity seemed impersonal and political. His responses also indicated he would be the candidate who would cater most to the administration.  

Also, if the university decides to retain Berquam as dean of students, we admit she would do a fine job. Although this board supported Berquam in the past, we believe the best option for the university is to bring in a fresh face and someone with qualifications from a richer background. While Berquam may have students' interests at heart, we believe Rose is the stronger candidate and would do the most to accommodate an eclectic student body.