New transit service meets city need

Beginning April 1, the YWCA will offer a ride service targeted at Madison citizens who lack sufficient modes of transportation. The YW Transit will offer rides to medical appointments during the day and double as a more inclusive ride service at night.  

As a replacement for Women's Transit Authority, which had to close in 2006 due to back taxes, YW Transit offers a great service to Madison's underprivileged. 

According to WTA statistics, Madison residents used the service more than 20,000 times per year. Given its popular usage, the ride service is definitely a necessary one in a city such as Madison, where asking anyone to ride the bus across town to go to the doctor is impractical.  

We are also relieved there will now be a service available to students to make up for the often inadequate service provided by SAFEride. While a viable service, SAFEride is often backlogged during high traffic hours around bar time. We are glad another service will offer UW-Madison students a safe alternative to walking home alone. 

YW Transit will be funded by the city of Madison, Dane County, the YWCA and the United Way. We commend the YWCA for securing proper funding for YW Transit this time around so citizens, who rely on the service for important medical appointments and safe nighttime transportation will not be forced to scrounge for alternative options. 

With the commencement of this service later this spring, we want to encourage all students to take advantage of the services the city and the university provide them.  

According to the Madison City Council, the number of downtown assaults and robberies has more than doubled since last year. It is important for UW-Madison students to play an active role in their safety and call one of the ride services offered. 

GOT OPINIONS? 

What do you think of the city's decision to install two WiFi security cameras in high-crime areas? 

Be a part of The Daily Cardinal's new Friday Forum by e-mailing your thoughts on this issue to opinion@dailycardinal.com by Thursday. Write a few paragraphs or even a sentence. Maximum of 250 words.