Gas leak causes evacuation of state Capitol

Employees at the state Capitol were evacuated Friday due to a gas leak from a nearby telephone pipe that runs through the building. 

According to Madison Gas and Electric spokesperson Steve Kraus, an employee at the Capitol reported smelling an odor resembling natural gas coming from somewhere in the building.  

Kraus said everyone was evacuated from the building at approximately 4 p.m., and shortly thereafter MG&E engineers and crewmembers began working to fix the problem.  

The Capitol was reportedly safe for entrance a few hours later, and employees were able to go in the building and retrieve their things. 

""People were allowed in the building just hours after the report,"" Kraus said. 

Kraus said crews worked on finding the source of the leak throughout Friday night, and by Saturday morning the state Capitol building was running as usual. 

""That area has been stabilized, and the gas must have leaked in from an outside source because the Capitol doesn't have any channels leading to it,"" Kraus said.