Badgers look to upset OSU

The Wisconsin women's basketball team (7-6 Big Ten, 18-8 overall) looks to make a powerful statement in the final few regular season conference games prior to the Big Ten Tournament. However, the Badgers will have their work cut out for them as they travel to No. 4 Ohio State (12-0, 20-1) Thursday evening. 

On Jan. 18, Ohio State marched onto the Badgers' court and showed no mercy, coming away with a 74-51 victory. This time around, Wisconsin hopes to show their improvements and take the Buckeyes by surprise. 

""We're a better team right now. We are more mature and we're playing more patient offensively,"" Wisconsin head coach Lisa Stone said. ""We're playing much more stellar defense and we're a completely different team ... Our post players are better, our guards are making better decisions and we're just a better team."" 

Wisconsin's junior standout guard, Jolene Anderson, was just tabbed Big Ten Player of the Week for her stellar performances last weekend, leading the Badgers to two home victories and tying her career high in scoring with 29 points Sunday against Iowa. Freshman point guard Rae Lin D'Alie has been a steady hand for Wisconsin so far this season, as well as junior Janese Banks. The post players have also stepped it up, contributing by doing all the little things that count. 

Ohio State's All-American standout senior center, Jessica Davenport, is not only leading the Big Ten Conference in scoring, averaging 19 points per game, but she also just set a conference record last week as the all-time career leader in shots blocked.  

""[Davenport] is going to be tough to stop, but we are going to look to do our best,"" D'Alie said. ""We are just going to continue to play the way we are. Right now, it seems like we are peaking and our defense has really stepped up these last couple of games.""  

On the contrary, senior Brandie Hoskins, second on the team in scoring, will not be playing in Thursday night's game due to a season-ending injury. Stone believes, however, that there are several other players Wisconsin needs to watch out for. 

""[Davenport] has got a great supporting cast. Marscilla Packer is one of the best 3-point shooters in the country,"" Stone said. ""Star Allen is averaging double-figures now ... We need to play pressuring defense, we need to guard everybody and we can't leave any one person open.""  

The Badgers are doing everything they can in practice to prepare for the Buckeyes. Tuesday afternoon, Stone was extremely impressed with the energy her team expressed on the court. 

""I like their competitiveness and I like that they want to keep playing to win,"" Stone said. ""Hopefully they can transcend that from practice into the games."" 

""We need everyone in this game. There is not any person that can stay home,"" Stone added. ""We gotta take care of the ball. I mean, this is one of the best teams in the country we are playing against and we'll rise up to the challenge. Our team respects everyone they play but fears no one. We'll go in with that mentality."" 

The Badgers' attempt to keep their fourth-place spot in the conference tips off at 6 p.m.